trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Let me in your Head.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:35 pm 

Hello,

New guy here looking to gather your creativity and insight before i set off/ order my first build. I believe the Tramp (as also recommended to me by stephen) will be the kit of choice. I will be shooting for tones in the range of just breaking marshall's to full overdriven madness all while maintaining a pretty, warm clean. Big ideas, yes I know :giggle:
I would like to do this as a head so I can experiment the heck out of speakers from any source I can get my hands on.

Basically making this post to see what successful people think / recommend / would do differently if there were starting now. Also if you have done up a Tramp and would like to show it off, by all means.

Thanks!

Last edited by Everyman on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Let me in your Head.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:15 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I have requested pics from a couple of adventurous builders.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:28 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
I would like to do this as a head so I can experiment the heck out of speakers from any source I can get my hands on.

I do that now with my combo. Mine is built combo style with a 10" WGS alnico, currently its plugged into a closed back 1x12 with an WGS ET-65. With a 6L6 it does what ever marshall you want and very nice fender. Throw any pedal you want at it. Haven't run into a guitar that it didn't play well with.
I go any where, I unplug ext cab and flip back to 8 ohms. Carry guitar and combo, no cabs to drag around, always a load on the amp.

Now after saying that, Tramp number 2 will be a KT88 powered head. Just have to finish rebuilding my plexi, which means ordering a triwatt cab as thats what is in the plexi cab. Its just so much fun playing with my Tramp, that I never get to the other amps I have.

Tele's make the best noise

Last edited by Taz13 on Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

Taz, that picture looks awesome. It's also too wide for the BBS, and is messing up the text formatting in your post. Would you mind either making it smaller, or else just re-posting it as a URL without the img tags? Thanks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
Taz, that picture looks awesome. It's also too wide for the BBS, and is messing up the text formatting in your post. Would you mind either making it smaller, or else just re-posting it as a URL without the img tags? Thanks! :)

Why thanks :oops: :lol: Not quite used to windows live tools yet. Is the current size better?
I think you can find almost any tone with some patience, maybe a pedal or two. The best thing I can say about the Tramp, is I look forward to playing it, like no other amp ever. And I have a few of those. The clean tones in 'tude mode are rich full and highly addictive!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:34 pm 

Taz,
Thanks for sharing that picture and info. I was wondering how you like driving the 12'. I was originally envisioning a 2x10 for myself but perhaps that is to generic and I should consider different configurations. The 6L6 is the planned tube from what I have read :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

As I said I have a head kit still to build, although the more I think about it and use my combo, it may become another combo. And thats simply because I love the alnico tone of the 10"(G10A WGS american voiced line) and the ability to mix with 1x12, 2x12 1x15(bass) and a 4x12 gives me different combinations of tones. You can unplug the combo speaker, but I seldom do, I like the sound to much.

Quote:
I was wondering how you like driving the 12'.
Sorry, I really can't tell you what size a speaker is being driven by the sound
I can tell the differences in tone between different cabs but not speaker size. My normal home system is a closed back 1x12(Et-65 WGS Celestion G12-65 clone) and open back combo(Tramp) or combo speaker alone.
I prefer combos because its one less thing to move while in a suspect condition after a jam. Guitar case and combo is all I haul around. Enough room in combo for a couple of pedals, wall wart, and cables with spare tubes duct taped to the side. Case has spare cables pick,strings and I hope a guitar.

A Tramp head is still a cool idea though.

Either way though and this can't be said enough "Always ensure you have a speaker plugged in before you power up" :!: