trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:29 am 

I want to buy a high quality guitar amp for my son, mostly for home use, and we have decided on a Trinity. For many reasons a kit is not an option.

The choice is really between a Tramp or a Tweed Deluxe with VRM, and from my inexperienced perspective it is a tough call! If we ignore price, and concentrate on tone, lower volume use, and versatility in the long-term - which is the better choice? Does the Tweed Deluxe with VRM play as well at low volumes as the Tramp?

Here are the options:

Tramp with 10" speaker.
Tramp with 12" Tone Tuby Alnico speaker.
Tweed Deluxe with VRM.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Regards from Toronto,
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:12 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have both and I would go with the Tramp in a combo with a 10", later if you feel it needed, you can get a 1x12 extension cab.
My Tramp is set up with a 6L6 although it was run with a 6v6 to start. Both are very good sounding. I also use a WGS Alnico speaker in the combo. I have tried both but the sound of alnico is what I prefer in the combo. The Extension cab that I use with the Tramp is a 12" ceramic. The Tramp is quite possibly the most flexible amp I have ever used.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

Taz13 wrote:
The Tramp is quite possibly the most flexible amp I have ever used.

Well I'll be darned (speaking as the co-designer of this amp)! :shock: :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 pm 
Expert
Expert

I would agree that the Tramp may be the ticket. Low volume use + versatility is right in it's wheelhouse. It has a very tweed Champ-ish character (maybe a bit more blackface-ish in "tude" mode). With a 6L6 & the right speaker it feels a lot like a tweed Twin or even a Bassman. Opened up in "tude" mode it gets kinda Marshally, and if you plugged in an EL34 or KT-66 I'm sure it would get into Plexi territory. Great little amp.

I sold mine to my cousin (he played it for 10 minutes & just had to have it) so I'll be building another one soon if all goes well.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:22 pm 

Thanks to you all for the excellent advice.

In corresponding with Stephen he had suggested that in choosing between a Tramp and a Tweed Deluxe, perhaps a Tramp with a 12" speaker would be "the best of both worlds". I am waiting to hear back from him as he is not sure if the 12" Tone Tubby Alnico speaker will actually fit in the Tramp.

It sounds like a Tramp with the 10" Jensen Alnico speaker is the way to go, unless the 12" Tone Tubby Alnico fits...

Does this sound reasonable?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:30 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The problem is they all sound reasonable. :D
Anyway is a good way. I don't think you can make a mistake with a Tramp.
My vote is for the 10" alnico.
Later add a 1x12 ext cab if desired.
Because the speaker is plugged in you can run with both a cab and built in or just the cab.
Just always need to keep a load on a tube amp.
That way you won't release the mystical smoke from the transformer.

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:00 am 
Expert
Expert

Mark wrote:
In corresponding with Stephen he had suggested that in choosing between a Tramp and a Tweed Deluxe, perhaps a Tramp with a 12" speaker would be "the best of both worlds". I am waiting to hear back from him as he is not sure if the 12" Tone Tubby Alnico speaker will actually fit in the Tramp.

It sounds like a Tramp with the 10" Jensen Alnico speaker is the way to go, unless the 12" Tone Tubby Alnico fits...

Does this sound reasonable?

I tried a 12" Eminence Red Fang in my Tramp & it fit just fine, even with it's huge/deep magnet bell installed. Granted, it was a bit tight around the speaker jacks - had to actually roll the chassis back to get the plugs in. Without the bell it might have been more roomy. In any case, it sounded freakin fantastic! I tried a number of ceramic 12" in there too with no issues at all.

It also sounds killer with a 10" Red Fang, BTW. Perhaps even better than the 12" depending on what you're looking for.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:16 pm 

I just placed an order and sent a deposit to Stephen for:

Tramp with 10" Jensen Blackbird Alnico Speaker, classic tweed with oxblood grill cloth.

This should be a sweet amp!

Thanks for all the advice.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

Quote:
Tramp with 10" Jensen Blackbird Alnico Speaker, classic tweed with oxblood grill cloth.

Great choice!!

I love mine. Same specs.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:23 pm 

Looks very sweet!!!!