trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:13 pm 

Hi-

I’m looking to purchase my first tube amp in the next couple of months. I’m a basement player so I’m looking for something which will enable me to reach manageable volumes (i.e. “loud TV volumes”), not necessarily whisper levels but something that won’t make the family go deaf upstairs…

Things I play (or want to play…) Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Cream, Pink Floyd, AC/DC, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Guns N’ Roses, Motley Crue, etc. So classic rock and hard rock. I guess that would be deemed Marshall/British-voiced.

I find the Tramp quite intriguing with its ability to use KT66 and EL34, tubes usually found in British-sounding amps (i.e. Marshall).

However, what I’m mainly reading on the forum makes me believe the Tramp has more of a Fender DNA (i.e. seems to me several people compare it to a Tweed Deluxe). What I’m wondering is with a KT66 or EL34, to which extent will it really sound and feel Marshally/British-voiced in ‘tude mode? Or will there always be some American-heritage transpiring through?

Would I be better off with something along the lines of an 18 watt? On a side by side comparison which between an 18 watt and a Tramp in ‘tude mode with a KT66/EL34 would be closer to that Marshall sound/feel?

Cheers,

denderah

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

IMO, the 18w - especially the Plexi version - will probably get you where you want to go. Add a VRM and it should be low level stuff fairly well.

The Tramp does get pretty dirty, but I don't know about 80's hard rock without some sort of boost. I know I've said it has a very Fendery vibe, especially tweeds, but keep in mind that early Marshalls have a lot of Fender heritage too. The tweed Bassman was the foundation for so many amps.

I haven't tried it myself, but based on how the Tramp reacts when pushed I fully expect it will do a very nice job of classic Marshall-esque overdrive with a KT-66 or EL34. I'd bet the EL34 would be just the ticket for your needs. More compression/crunch than my 6V6/6L6 version. If I build another one I'm thinking it would be 6L6 and KT-66 or EL34. I think that would give the best of all worlds tonally, covering both sides of the pond quite nicely.

Others can chime in with a more detailed recommendation. As I've said I haven't tried one with a KT-66 or EL34 myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:38 pm 
Expert
Expert

The 'Tude mode is based on some design work I had done previously to get the Marshall vibe in a 2-tube format. Just run the amp with an EL34 and you'll be away. Especially with a more British style speaker from Celestion, Eminence or WGS, say. The overall vibe in 'Tude mode is more classic and hard rock. So for higher gain stuff, like Guns 'n Roses, you will probably want to stick a pedal in front The same would apply with an 18W. Also for some of the other styles, like Pink Floyd, you're going to need some different pedals.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:23 pm 

Really appreciate the replies!

To be honest, I was first interested in 18 watt amps (heard clips and read several reviews saying it’s fairly close to the Plexi sound but at lower volume (which is important for me)).

However, after finding Trinity and reading about the Tramp being able to use the same tubes as “classic” rock amps (i.e. EL34 & KT66); my curiosity was sparked, thinking this could be a “better” option, closer in sound to “the real deal” Plexi crunch (I understand nothing beats the original but I’d be happy enough if it sounds convincing enough…).

So from what I understand both an 18 watt plexi and a Tramp with EL34 could probably get me where I want to go in terms of classic rock and Marshall/British-sound vibe, which is what most of the stuff I like playing is (Led Zep, AC/DC, Hendrix, etc.). I could live with a pedal to push things for the occasional “harder” stuff.

So confusion has settled in... :?

In a sense my question is: why would I ever pick an 18 watt over a Tramp? It appears the Tramp can do what the 18 watt can (classic crunch through ‘tude mode) and probably more (Tweed mode). Surely there's something I would miss out by passing on the 18 watt?

Cheers!

denderah

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:15 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

An 18w does Marshall

A Tramp does everything!

It is a Tramp after all :D

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Taz just about covered it.

The way I look at it is the Tramp is a nice Fender that can cop a cranked Marshall to a degree. It will get you in the Marshall ballpark - as Phil says, it can do a Marshall vibe. The 18w is pure Marshall goodness - it's at the plate smacking one over the fence.

So if you're looking for a Marshall vibe with added versatility in a low-power amp, the Tramp will get you there. If you really want to nail classic Marshall crunch, 18w (with a VRM if you want to keep the volume down).

Keep in mind that "lower volume" is a relative concept. The 18w is a pretty loud amp, especially when you really get it singing. The Tramp isn't exactly quiet either. Wound up it will leave your ears ringing after a while. With the gain, volume & VRM working together you can get a nice crunchy tone at lower volumes. I don't have a Tramp here at the moment, but I do have a modified Epiphone Valve Junior (5w) and that can keep up with a drummer in a small jam (but not clean of course).

Not to cloud the issue but there is also the V6 version of the 18w, which throws a few more dimensions into it's tonal palette. It's a little rounder & warmer in 6V6 mode...a little more Tweedy. Just waying... :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:00 am 
Expert
Expert

Emohawk wrote:
It will get you in the Marshall ballpark - as Phil says, it can do a Marshall vibe.

Just try it with an EL34 and a Celestion (or Celestion clone) speaker.

Emohawk wrote:
The 18w is pure Marshall goodness.... If you really want to nail classic Marshall crunch, 18w (with a VRM if you want to keep the volume down). Keep in mind that "lower volume" is a relative concept. The 18w is a pretty loud amp, especially when you really get it singing.

A VRM and/or attenuator is essential with an 18W, if you want crunchy tones at less than ear-splitting volumes. The Marshall 18W design makes for an unbelievably loud amp. While the VRM is an additional option with an 18W, it's an integral part of the Tramp's spec.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:53 pm 

Once again, thanks for the replies! Quite helpful helping me better understand what I should be leaning towards.

Emohawk wrote:
Keep in mind that "lower volume" is a relative concept. The 18w is a pretty loud amp, especially when you really get it singing. The Tramp isn't exactly quiet either. Wound up it will leave your ears ringing after a while. With the gain, volume & VRM working together you can get a nice crunchy tone at lower volumes. I don't have a Tramp here at the moment, but I do have a modified Epiphone Valve Junior (5w) and that can keep up with a drummer in a small jam (but not clean of course).

I’m not looking for whisper level (i.e. playing in the same room as a sleeping baby… :lol: ) but definitely do not want to drown the house with club sound level either.

If the VRM is used to lower the amp to the extent of keeping “good” tone, do you have an approximation/example of how loud an 18 watt (or a Tramp for that matter) would be? Should I expect loud TV volumes, lawn mower volumes :lol: , would I need to scream to get heard over the amp (i.e. VRM only cuts a bit of the volume)?

zaphod wrote:
While the VRM is an additional option with an 18W, it's an integral part of the Tramp's spec.

Does the fact the Tramp include the VRM in its design make it more efficient at controlling overall volume compared to an 18 watt with VRM?

Cheers,

denderah

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 am 
Experienced
Experienced

denderah wrote:
Once again, thanks for the replies! Quite helpful helping me better understand what I should be leaning towards.

Emohawk wrote:

I’m not looking for whisper level (i.e. playing in the same room as a sleeping baby… :lol: ) but definitely do not want to drown the house with club sound level either.

If the VRM is used to lower the amp to the extent of keeping “good” tone, do you have an approximation/example of how loud an 18 watt (or a Tramp for that matter) would be? Should I expect loud TV volumes, lawn mower volumes :lol: , would I need to scream to get heard over the amp (i.e. VRM only cuts a bit of the volume)?

zaphod wrote:
While the VRM is an additional option with an 18W, it's an integral part of the Tramp's spec.

Does the fact the Tramp include the VRM in its design make it more efficient at controlling overall volume compared to an 18 watt with VRM?

Cheers,

denderah

I look at the Vrm on the Tramp as a level control that depending on the settings you have controls volume and dirt. Using the level with the master volume and volume as interactive controls you can get many different volume levels and tones.
My settings with the 6L6 are both volumes max, treble 5 bass 6, in 'tude position and thin seleceted. I use a 1x12 with a celestion G-12-65 clone and a 10"alnico with a Tele and Seymour Duncan hbuckers. And I can play at levels you can easily talk over . And with a quick twist I can do battle with a heavey fisted drummer on acoustic drums and win. With the KT88 it isn't even a contest, with a bonus, its a multi function amp. Loves Bass and when we plug in keys they plug into the tramp.
My 18w is LOUD even with VRM its loud. Great basement, studio amp where loud is expected and used, turn the VRM off, put it on a 4x12 and blow away the patrons in the bar. But even with the VRM the 18w is a workhorse that wants to make noise and sounds the best when doing so. I think the 18w with vrm, if matched with a Emminenece reignmaker or maverick would be what many want, an 18w the can be played quiet without an attenuatter plate. The speaker gives a 10db adjustment of effiency (sp).
Think of it this, 18w equals big vtwin hog with shorty pipes, Tramp equals inline 4 with quiet pipes. Both go fast enough to turn you into a smear on the pavement but the inline won't have the neighbours or family upset. The inline does lots the hog does one cruises loud and causes complaints. They can both put you where you want to be, wind in the hair and bugs in the teeth.

Does that increase the confusion at all?

Tele's make the best noise

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

In my experience you can get an 18W down to TV levels with a VRM (aka VVR). So not really super loud. If you want to get the volume real low down, to whisper levels, you may need to use an attenuator on the output as well as a VRM. Like Taz13 says, the VRM has a slightly different effect with the Tramp, allowing you to actually shape the tone of the amp while controlling the volume level.