trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2024 2:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More Amp Camp success!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:25 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wanted to share pics of the "Post Camp" product. Was a great success and fired right up (After some thorough testing with Chris!) on the first shot! Very stressful moments when testing and cranking up the Variax for the first time but everything worked out great. Amp Camp was an awesome experience and I cant wait to start the next build! Just have to figure out what I cant to do for a cab with this build.....I am thinking a 12" cab as I have an extra 12" speaker currently waiting for a home. I am really liking the looks of the stained cab's I was thinking about a dark black semi transparent stain. Thought that with a silver/grey mesh grill would look pretty awesome!

Side note, Would love to see any other finished products (or current progress) from Amp Camp!

Thanks guys!
-Dana

Trinity Tramp 1 by danamoose, on Flickr

Trinity Tramp 2 by danamoose, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:28 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Very nice build. Neat as a pin! Very happy about your success and plans to do more - before the baby arrives!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:42 am 
Novice
Novice

Holy geometric wiring, Batman. Nice job!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

That's how I like to see an amp wired! :thumbsup: In my experience, clean builds like that are far more likely to fire up and work first time.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thats exactly what happened! After some good testing with Chris the amp fired up fine on the first try! Man that is a scary time when bringing the voltage up the first time after spending so much time working on it! We only had one issue with the "tude" switch acting up, the internal contacts were not making good contact at first so they just gave me a replacement switch to use....Got it home though and the issue seems to have corrected itself, havent had a single issue with it since! Love this amp, such a pure tone! Cant wait to get it mounted in a cab!

Thanks again Stephen and Chris!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:48 pm 
Friend
Friend

Very nice build! You're gonna love that amp.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

There's been a suggestion that you may have wired your speaker jacks up backwards - www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2583 You may want to check it out....

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

Dana,

Looking good man! I've gotta say that is some neat wiring there. It was a pleasure to meet you and hope that your dining out on Sunday was better than Saturday! Best of luck with the new baby...oh, and the birth of your 1st child in August too! haha!

Johnny

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:55 pm 
Expert
Expert

Looks great!

Doesn't matter that your speaker jacks are wired backwards. You will have no issues (including NFB, negative feedback).

Wiring your jacks backwards to the layout just means your speaker will be 180 degrees out of phase with your other (normally wired) speakers. Again not an issue, if your running multi amp setups you will want to fix your wiring so you don't have phase cancellation though.

Chris...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks guys, I think for the sake of keeping it clean and correct I will re-wire it. I'll just desolder it and flip the jacks over to correct it. That way I can keep it all clean and straight! ;)
Thanks again everyone!

Ive got the itch now.....itchin to start another build!
-Dana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

HA! Was using my amp to try to help troubleshoot someone else's issue when I discovered an oversight on my own! I havent yet explored what issues (if any...as my amp seems to work fine) but if you look very closely in my pics you will see that I havent jumpered the 6L6 side of the tube selector switch! Whoops! I will have to take a closer look at the schematic to see that section in particular but thought I'd share my findings so far. I find initially odd as I am currently running a 6L6 with no known issues.

I havent tested the switch but to my knowledge it is just a standard DPDT switch so there should be no internal connection there either. Just interesting stuff. :)

I am planning on fixing this before I fire it up again, but any ideas of any differences I may notice as a result of this error/correction?
Thanks guys,
-Dana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Jumping only means you're using one pole. not two so one is fine but two handles half the current each so easier on the switch. That's all.