trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 3:26 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hey everyone.

Been looking around the forums and such for a while and I have to say these kits look and sound awesome. I'm really interested in building a tramp combo. I'm also somewhat nervous. I've built pedals before but nothing as dangerous or complex as an amp. Could a relative beginner build a Tramp kit? Also, how are the directions with these kits Are they easy to follow?

Thanks guys

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 6:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello J.R.
I just completed a Tramp build a few days ago. It was a first time for me and it went well as I have now a working and fine sounding Tramp.

Like you I had some previous soldering experience from changing pickups in my guitars.

I had also built two Dynaco kits, a stereo amp and a preamplifier, but that was more than 40 years ago. I'm a writer and my knowledge of electronics is very limited (the DVD about Understanding Vacuum Tube Guitar Amplifiers was useful to me).

There is enough info (55 pages) supplied with the kit as well as a schematic diagram of the circuits and a color drawing showing the components and the wiring.

There is a lot of information on the forum, often with pictures included to guide you. If you have further questions, they can be posted on the forum and you get an answer, usually pretty quickly.
If you still have unanswered questions, you can email Trinity Amps.

I found it is better to go slowly and check your wiring against the schematic as you go along. Check for continuity also.
There is a resource section on the forum where you will find the last revision of the schematic and wiring diagram as well as other useful info.

It's a great learning experience and I found it a lot of fun.

By the way, the Tramp is an awesome design, toneful and very versatile.

P.S: there are security procedures detailed in the instructions. Very useful and clearly written.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 10:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

In some ways I find pedals harder to build than tube amps, because of the cramped space.