trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help me choose!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:46 pm 

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and to Trinity amps as well. This Tramp looks like a great little project - my only concern is that it may not be quite loud enough. . . I play with some guys once a week (bluesish, old rockish) and my Champ clone can't be heard over my buddy's Traynor, so I'm in a borrowed Fender HRD now. Can anyone quantify how much louder a Tramp would be than a single 6v6 Champ in terms of a band room setting? I realize volume is a hard thing to quantify. I'm also really thinking about going with a Trinity 18watt in some configuration, but the versatility of this Tramp really intrigues me:)

Also, this will be my second amp build. I built the Champ last year from a Triode kit. The chassis is an aluminum bread pan from Value Viallage. I used my grandfather's old radio cabinet and a Radio Services Canada 12" speaker (local kijiji find). Great fun!

Thanks for any advice, and for a great, informative forum as well. :thumbsup:

Post subject: Re: Help me choose!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:44 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

if you run a 6L6 its quite loud. the efficiency of the speaker is quite important. id saY it would be loud enough to hang in with your friends. using an effiecient 12" would help too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:28 pm 

Thanks! Have read more since posting and concluded that as well:) Typical forum newb asking before searching. . . The best answer is obviously to build both a Tramp and a Plexi, so I'll have to kick the fundraising into high gear! With any luck I'll be contacting you shortly.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:36 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You'd be surprised how loud it can get with a 6L6 and an additional 212 extension cabinet too. Gig to a room of 100 easy!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 pm 

Hmmm that would be plenty enough. I could a/b/y my champ for added creamy boost as well. . . That is surprising power for a two tube amp!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:54 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I run my Tramp Head with a 6L6GC through a Cannabis Rex 12" Hemp Cone (very efficient - 102dB) and it is very loud when I crank it up. A trick I use with mine is to run a clean boost in front, I find the amp loves this and it does help raise the clean headroom substantially. Our band plays Blues/Rock and there's a second guitarist as well (he uses a 5E3) and the Tramp has no problem holding it's own in the mix.

Snowy.