trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp on the way
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hey folks, thought I'd introduce myself.
I have just ordered a tramp kit, very excited to join the amp building club.
I do not play much guitar but I have now built 4. A Les Paul, 2 Tele's and a Strat (all my versions of such) I have a strange love for guitars yet can't play worth crap.
My Daughter (16) however is becoming quite good. That is who this amp will be for.

So far my plan is to build the cab from scratch using all cherry. I love the wood and how it ages to a beautiful glow over the years. No other wood does it quite like cherry and I think it will be a good match for a tube amp. Dovetail corners is planned but I may get lazy on that.

I have not researched a speaker yet. That will be more hours spent pouring over different forum threads and reviews.

I hope to do a build thread solely for the purpose of being able to enlist some help when needed. I 've been reading other threads and see that this is a great place.

Lookin forward to it.

Post subject: Re: Tramp on the way
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:19 pm 
Novice
Novice

Congratulations on your choice. I love my Tramp. I think you will find it helpful to do a build thread as you can get some feedback on your progress and if you get stuck there are helpful eyes checking and making comments.

The choice of a speaker is important as different speakers have different tones. Also speaker efficiency is important. If you plan to play live gigs with your Tramp you will want to have an efficient speaker; however, if you are just playing in your basement an inefficient speaker can produce great tone at low volumes. Of course everybody has an opinion on speaker selection. Do your research and figure out what it is you want from the speaker. There are lost of great choices. I have two that I use with my Tramp; one is a vintage 1950's Jensen alnico which breaks up very early and has good breakup at low volumes; I keep it in the Tramp. My other speaker is a BBQ Blue Ceramic which has more edge to it and is much louder; I have it in a 1x12 extension cabinet. Of course with the impedance rotary swtich it is possible to run both speakers in parallel and have more tonal variety.

So, keep us informed as you progress. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Looking forward to your thread. Dark Cherry with Cane grill cloth!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

Cane....brilliant!!!