trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tramp build 1st timer
PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:31 pm 
Friend
Friend

Decided to start on a cab while waiting on Canada Post to deliver my kit.
My initial plan was a cherry cab but I had this flawless poplar board and thought I'd make use of it.

I have added 1/2 inch to the cab all around in order to avoid any issues with a 12" speaker fitting in there. The depth of the cab remains as the plans suggest.

Poplar is a very underrated wood. It sands beautifully and properly conditioned takes stains perfectly. I plan on going for the tweed look. Kinda looks like a pile of lumber right now.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.44 MiB | Viewed 21898 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Bellybuster,
Yes, poplar is nice to work with and quite under rated, although does get tear out easily. While still classified as a soft wood, it's considerably harder, more stable and consistent than pine. :D Is that saw a General or General International? I'm assuming you're located in Canada, eh? You guys get the good tools, All I have is a Delta Unisaw, nowhere near the quality of true "General" iron! Best of luck on your first build. I will be following your progress closely, as I plan to be next. :thumbsup:
Cheers,
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

It's the general international contractor saw. A great purchase worth every penny. I have an extended table and quality fence added to it.
I used to have a unisaw and miss its stability. I no longer have the room for a cabinet saw.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have a few bucks stashed away so used this build as an excuse to purchase a new tool. The Incra Ibox jig. I have seen this jig in action and am anxious to get it here to finish this cabinet. I had a $50 bonus at an online supplier so took advantage of that to bring the price way down.
I am well aware that a box joint can be made without an elaborate jig but will put this one to good use with other projects as well

http://www.incra.com/product_rtf_ibox.html

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

DU-HUDE,
I'm a tool junkie and have had my eye on that one for a while! I've been trying to come up with a good excuse to NEED it. ;) Problem is, I've been priming/preparing the wife for the purchase of a Festool Domino. :nono She's almost ready, but with the "NECESSITY" of buying a new amp kit, I'm not sure how to swing it. :? She just doesn't get the old adage: "He who dies with the most toys (uhhh, tools) wins!" Of course he's still dead!
My $.02 & Worth Even Less,
Gene

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

the domino is a great looking tool. I have a buddy that leaves his on the shelf daily. For standard joining of boards glue alone has always worked for me. I use biscuits when alignment is required like extending window frames and such. At the better part of a grand, I can do without the Domino.
I can do without the Ibox as well but......... ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:30 pm 
Friend
Friend

I have got all the parts for the box of the cab out of a single 1X8 poplar board.
Total I have in so far is $12 plus my time. My time is free.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:45 pm 
Friend
Friend

Tramp kit arrived safe and sound. Haven't opened it yet as it is in my car locked and the keys are with my wife.....not home.
Probably won't get to it until Sunday

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:07 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Bellybuster wrote:
I have a few bucks stashed away so used this build as an excuse to purchase a new tool. The Incra Ibox jig. I have seen this jig in action and am anxious to get it here to finish this cabinet. I had a $50 bonus at an online supplier so took advantage of that to bring the price way down.
I am well aware that a box joint can be made without an elaborate jig but will put this one to good use with other projects as well

http://www.incra.com/product_rtf_ibox.html

Great tool, I have one!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:09 pm 
Friend
Friend

Got my cabinet together, the ibox jig is amazing!!
Pins were a bit tight with all the humidity but a little persuasion got'er done.
Just need to cut the control recess and taper the front. Bit of sanding and it will be ready for tolex. Seeing as this is for my daughter, I may get creative with the finishing. Haven't decided yet. I like the traditional look but she has more.... Modern?... Tastes.

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.77 MiB | Viewed 21802 times ]

Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 1.62 MiB | Viewed 21802 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sorry about the big images, will adjust for next time.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

question...
If I angle the front face of the cabinet, the front corners will not be square, will cab corners still fit? Do I need any corners? I notice that most "vintage" amps do not have the metal corners. Is wear an issue? Not like this amp will be "gigged".

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:34 am 
Friend
Friend

cancel last question, going with blonde tolex (smooth), oxblood grill and no corners.
Speaker will be a WGS 12" Invader.
Now if I could purchase some time I'd be all set.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Bellybuster wrote:
question...
If I angle the front face of the cabinet, the front corners will not be square, will cab corners still fit? Do I need any corners? I notice that most "vintage" amps do not have the metal corners. Is wear an issue? Not like this amp will be "gigged".

Agree, no corners! Looks good so far

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

Finally found some time to start on the Tramp build.
Find the first line in the instructions confusing regarding the installation of the tube sockets. Will know I have them right as soon as I get to the heater wires.
So far, just have the sockets and terminal strips in. It's a start

The cabinet is awaiting its tolex treatment. I want to get the transformers installed in the chassis first so I can make sure it all fits right. I made a measure twice, cut once error on the cabinet. I measured several times and only cut once.........wrong side.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:54 pm 
Friend
Friend

Finally found some time to start on the Tramp build.
Find the first line in the instructions confusing regarding the installation of the tube sockets. Will know I have them right as soon as I get to the heater wires.
So far, just have the sockets and terminal strips in. It's a start

The cabinet is awaiting its tolex treatment. I want to get the transformers installed in the chassis first so I can make sure it all fits right. I made a measure twice, cut once error on the cabinet. I measured several times and only cut once.........wrong side.
Attachment:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 74.5 KiB | Viewed 21608 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Any update on your build? Looking so good...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:46 am 
Friend
Friend

Ha, have been working away from home so no further work has been done. It sits with transformers mounted and that's it so far.
Thanks for asking, I go home in 3 weeks and will be off for awhile. Hopefully get it done then

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:58 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm always ready to cheer on a fellow Tramp builder, we'll be waiting. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 10:28 am 
Friend
Friend

thanks for the encouragement. Im anxious to get at it again. More so the cabinet than the amp itself.