trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trampy goodness
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:48 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Got this thing together finally..it was over 4 years ago when I ordered the kit. I've just got to say this thing is incredible! For testing I hooked up a closed-back 112 cab with a WGS green beret. I first went with the tweed/thin settings and it sounded very sweet, clear, articulate. then I pulled the 'Tude and Fat switch, cranked it and wow...she just took off...what a great overdriven sound in all its single-ended glory! :thumbsup:

When I ordered the kit, I asked Stephen to cut the baffle for a 12" speaker...I'll be dropping in a Celestial Blue with a hemp re-cone that is hands-down the best speaker I've ever heard. Can't wait to hear how this pairs up with the Tramp...will post some clippage soon after I get everything together.

Great amp and very satisfied with this build, even despite the minor set-back with the shorting out on the transformer bolt.

Post subject: Re: Trampy goodness
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Congrats! Great feeling isn't it?

Don't feel bad about the delay. I started my first build in 1998. I didn't do my homework and so it was a frustrating experience for me. I ended up never finishing that kit (it wasn't a Trinity kit) but I finally finished my first build (a Trinity TC15) in 2014.... only a sixteen year gap! :oops: :lol:

Now I can't get enough of it... have several builds under my belt now. Beware: It could happen to you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:46 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Thanks! It turned out great and now its time for some speaker and tube swapping. the blue sounds really good, but its always fun to hear what the other possibilities are. I may need to cut a new baffle as I don't think a ceramic magnet will fit (using a 12" speaker) without hitting the power tube.

I've done a few valve junior conversions using Terry Stinger's (RIP) PCB boards. The Tramp was my first eyelet/turret board build...I really enjoyed it and am thinking about the next project...maybe a Vox-inspired amp?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:31 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

As a follow up...
I swapped the Celestion Blue with a Warehouse Speakers ET65. While the Celestion sounded good, it was just a bit too spiky on the high frequencies in this amp, so I pulled an ET65 from a 2x12 cab I had and gave it shot. I must say that this is a really good pairing, especially in 'tude mode. Don't get me wrong...it delivers in tweed mode as well. The ET65 is just smoother overall.

What I really like about the Tramp is how touch responsive it is. Even with a TS-9 engaged, rolling back on the guitar volume and/or using a softer attack on the strings really cleans things up. I've been using Lace Sensors on a strat as well as Fralin tele pickups on a parts-Tele and they sound great...clean to really good grit, especially with the Red Lace Sensor. On the other hand, pushing the amp with a high output humbucker almost sends it out of control. I have a frankenstrat with a Duncan JB Jr in the bridge and it sends it over the top. Still a great tone, but almost on the verge of meltdown in 'tude mode.

The Tramp is a great little amp capable of wide variety of tones. I've found that my TS-9 is a perfect addition and opens up the possibilities even more.

At some point when I get a little free time :rol (when will that happen!!) I'll get some videos posted, or at the very least some clippage.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The ET65 is a fantastic 6V6 speaker. They go together really well. It's what I have in my main gigging amp.

One of these days I am going to see what Tone Tubby's are all about though. They are made only about 90 miles from me. I'd like to see how much it would cost for them to recone a Vintage 30 I have with a tear in it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:16 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for sharing your stories! Always glad to hear. Interesting comment on the ET65 and 6V6 tubes too. I've heard the Tramp go over the top, in a rockin blues band. Sounded like a Mesa Boogie!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah you wouldn't normally think of the ET65 matching well with a "Fendery" amp seeing as how it's based on a Celestion design. But it is becoming a favorite of a lot of players and builders.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:00 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

dtp,
yeah I was a little surprised how good it sounded in this amp. I had it paired with a Veteran 30 in a closed-back 212 cab for use with my Superlite II and Mesa 5-25 heads. But I read a few reviews that some Blues Junior owners liked the ET65 and thought I'd try it out. For $70 free shipping it can't be beat. highly recommend!