trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 8:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

sweet thats awesome!!! do you have any idea about the prices yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:07 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Not until we settle on the transformers, then we'll know. It is a more complicated build, larger board, more parts than a TC-15 so more than a TC-15 less than a car! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 6:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

sign me up for a triwatt... within 3 months you say???? COOL!

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Tomorrow, Phil & I are getting together to give it to once-more over. Then we travel to bgroup's studio on Tuesday to make a comparison versus the vintage DR103.
Then on Jan 10th, there is a planned Triwatt Tone Fest in the shop in Toronto with lbethune, autopilot slim, phil, brent & I.

By that time, we'll have a very good idea of the next steps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:19 am 
Friend
Friend

Good luck Stephen. It sounds like a great way to ring in the New Year - with a Triwatt.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:54 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

jrmintz wrote:
It sounds like a great way to ring in the New Year - with a Triwatt.

I'd say so... :D

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

We tried the Triwatt prototype with a 36W output transformer today, instead of the original 18W one. There were smiles on our faces when we heard the extra depth and body in the amp's tone. Tomorrow's studio test is going to be with the 36W transformer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

jrmintz wrote:
It sounds like a great way to ring in the New Year - with a Triwatt.

Ringing is what my ears were doing after being at Brent's studio. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Here's a few shots of the session today. No clips yet, we were too busy playing and having fun. It was a revelation to hear this against the real McCoy. I waited patiently and finally heard my fave - Rickenbacker hollowbody with the Tone Tubby Alnico. Clean and loud so daddy was proud!!

Below, Phil discusses TRIWATT circuitry with Brent and compares it to Brent's 103.

Not surprisingly, Brent wants tweaks. We remove the chassis and oblige. Snip a cap here, substitute a tube there. Results - more punch, more clarity, more volume. Perfect says Brent who then puts his magic hands and ears to work while Rob plays.

Brent plays with the Overdrive and Rob likes it!! We end up playing at least 7 different guitars (Fender, Gibson, PRS, Rickenbacker, Danelectro single coil, humbuckers etc. etc.), 4 pedals, Wah and 3 cabs. There was no problem handling the multitude of inputs - very nice. The HIWATT 412 cab had fanes, the Marshall 412 cab had Greenbacks and the Trinity 212 cab Tone Tubby Alnicos. My fave was the TT of course.

The effort today was well worth the drive to Trenton and the bgroup studio. The opportunity to compare to a real Hiwatt made us realize how close we had really come. After we removed a cathode cap on the Normal channel to reduce gain and increase clarity, and subsituted a 12AX7 for the 12AT7 in the PI position, the result was a clean, punchy and loud amp. Brent started to smile.
The tone controls were very close in settings to the HIWATT as was the presence control.
The Pull-On overdrive control was something not on the HIWATT and when it was engaged, the control was terrrific. You can go from jangly clean to more OD than you can imagne. Even so, the sound clarity hung in there although our little PT was struggling at times! Brent spent a lot of time usingthis control. We didn't expect that as the big guy didnt have one. But it proved to be a well worthwhile addition. Just ask Brent.

Great bass response on this amp with the 36W OT. The link input was another feature that was very useful, although Brent stuck to the Normal & Bright inputs.

For me, after I heard a Hollow body Rickenbacker into the 212 Trinity Tone Tubby cab, I was convinced. This amp can do loud & clean and be taken to the edge of break-up as much as you wish. In fact, it could be so loud, that, as Phil said, my ears were ringing. This in a good sized studio (see pics) with 14 foot ceilings. What will it sound like in a club? I have no doubt it will broadcast extremely well and easily cut through the mix. In my shop? Oh My!!!

Brent will no doubt have a more to say about the adventure. Put me down for #1 Production Brent says! A new member of the bgroup Trinity family?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:37 am 
Expert
Expert

Cross-posted from the TRIWATT thread:
coco wrote:
Not surprisingly, Brent wants tweaks. We remove the chassis and oblige. Snip a cap here, substitute a tube there. Results - more punch, more clarity, more volume. Perfect says Brent, who then puts his magic hands and ears to work while Rob plays.... After we removed a cathode cap on the Normal channel to reduce gain and increase clarity, and substituted a 12AX7 for the 12AT7 in the PI position, the result was a clean, punchy and loud amp.

There are minor differences between Hiwatts of different eras, which we have aimed to capture here. The Normal channel of the Triwatt is voiced like a Who amp, with the cathode bypass cap, which gives it a bit more gain. Gilmour's Hiwatts also have that extra gain, due to the cathode cap in the Normal channel. Brent's DR103 is from the era where the normal channel doesn't have the cathode bypass cap, so that there's a bit less gain, together with more clarity. Brent clearly prefered this approach, and also reasoned when he wants more gain, he can engage the extra "OL" boost stage - which is very true. So we went with Brent's request and snipped out the cap.

As stock Brent's amp would also have had a 12AT7 in the phase invertor position, but the previous owner(s) appear to have swapped in a 12AX7, which gives a "tougher" sound, in Brent's words. So we did the same here, and the combination of these two small changes made the Triwatt sound and feel much closer to its big daddy Hiwatt. :D I also just read today in a book that Stephen has, that Townshend also swapped a 12AX7 for the 12AT7 in his amps.

Those folks who prefer a softer more mellow early 70s sound will probably stick with the regular 12AT7, and possibly also the preamp cathode cap. The nice thing is that these are all easy tweaks, to voice the amp closer to their own preferences.
coco wrote:
The link input was another feature that was very useful, although Brent stuck to the Normal & Bright inputs.

Actually, I think it was the other way round, IIRC. Most of the time he was alternating between the Normal and Link inputs. Which he preferred seemed to vary between different guitars, distortion and volume levels. I was also quite amazed at the grinding distortion Brent got from the OL stage, which would put many a Marshall to shame IMO. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:48 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Moving to the TRIWATT thread. Suggest people post and subscribe to that one :arrow: http://www.trinityamps.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1389

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6