trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 11:37 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Love those chickens. I like to rotisserie them in a smoke filled BBQ until they are really crispy. About 90 minutes for 3 lb ones.

But it's ribs & brisket I crave - Texas style - not pulled pork. I had some pulled pork at a shack outside Raleigh NC once and it was good but I still like that Sweet Texas Tomato sauce slow cooked smoky style. The Good Co. in Houston was very good and I had some awesome BBQ in Austin a few times too.

BFG says he likes the Good Co. in Austin. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 3:21 pm 
Expert
Expert

Quote:
Jac's barbecue story from central PA sounds like the quintessential great barbecue experience to me. BBQ is best in a rural or semi-rural area conducted by professionals without neon signs and 20 locations. A homemade plywood sign and a screen door is a good indication of quality. Bonus points for spelling errors on the sign and holes in the screen door.

It was definitely all of that. The sign though was a mile ahead of the site and hand painted (not well, either) The BEST pulled pork. How much does your pork melt in your mouth :shock: 8)

Quote:
I like to rotisserie them in a smoke filled BBQ until they are really crispy

Crispy!!! Sorry, I really like crispy! It's just one of those tastes thats just, um, incredible!

Quote:
But it's ribs & brisket I crave

Brisket? I'm Irish! I love brisket!
Never heard of grilling before.
We (my family history) always boiled and baked the brisket. Never even ever occurred to me to grill. Can you actually get brisket to be as moist as the way I cook it? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:58 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:

But it's ribs & brisket I crave - Texas style - not pulled pork. I had some pulled pork at a shack outside Raleigh NC once and it was good but I still like that Sweet Texas Tomato sauce slow cooked smoky style. The Good Co. in Houston was very good and I had some awesome BBQ in Austin a few times too.

Raleigh, North Carolina BBQ? Well, that's the problem. You have to try SOUTH Carolina BBQ. There are way too many Yankees in Raleigh/Durham. I bet your pork was made by a guy from Jersey. :wink:

Obviously, I'm kidding around, and apologies to Jac (I know there's good cue in PA), but this would be a pretty typical type of response. You should hear how people go at each other about BBQ-even within the same state. Mustard-based sauce vs. vinegar-based sauce vs. tomato sauce, whole hog vs. pork butts, beef vs. pork, wet or dry ribs, etc. etc.

Props to you Coco for trying the bbq at its source, Texas and NC (such as it is). The worst thing are these bbq places, like here in DC, that try to please all the Southern ex-Pats by producing all the regional types of BBQ - and doing none of them very well.

But since you're coming from Canada, Stephen, I expect you'd be about as unbiased as they come. So if you prefer Texas-style beef barbeque, I guess I have to accept that and just conclude that you haven't been exposed to any real barbeque yet. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:25 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I once took a road trip to try out as many East Coast diners as possible... hmmm... :wink:

Last edited by coco on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

I grew up in SC and NC and stopped at a lot of very good BBQ places in both states. Seemed everywhere we travelled there were always those dirty joints with the pig signs our front. Parker Bros. in Wilson NC (I think that is where it was) was superb, family style, but that was WAY back - don't know if they're still in business. They had dynamite Brunswick Stew as well as the usual pulled chicken and pork. Then there was The Blue Mist, a great old 50's dive in Pittsboro NC on my way back to Chapel Hill (Univ. of NC). Finally, we lived in Cincinnati for 5 years, and Burbanks in Cincinnati was the best. Has two locations, the original in N. Kentucky on the Ohio River, the second on the NE side of Cincinnati. Excellent food, especially their BBQ beans.

In my opinion, excellent BBQ is a gift from God. If you'll allow me a quote from Numbers 18: "You shall offer up their fat in smoke as an offering by fire, for a soothing aroma to the Lord. And their meat shall be yours..."
Don't tell me God isn't good!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, I would of never imagined quoting God for a BBQ, but I stand corrected :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Saying that excellent bbq is a gift from God reminds me of that saying about beer being "proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

I can't remember the quote about "beer", common someone :?: :D
And I love the fact that you can quote God for everything, well it always gives me hope to continue. :D :D

Beer, BBQ and wonderful amps and guitars :D :D I guess God loves us 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, this thread ended so I must think :hmmm: that everyone's BBQing rol
I'm cooking hand cut steakums. Cheaper and oh so much better. Of course takes a few hours to cut the london broil.
Have fun. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 3:27 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

steakums ?? what's that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

I was curious to see if you canucks would know. Couldn't resist.

Anyway, You know what these are, you just call them a different name :D
I'm guessing you do have beef cuts of london broil? I would think that's universal. A nice long cut of tender meat, with slight marbleling. About 2 or 3 inches thick. You can use anything. Fish, deer, elk moose, pork. Then you trim off any grizzle and fat (unless you like that) and horizontally cut it at 1/4 strips.
Fry them in a skillet (I like my old iron skillet, she's really worked in). Add cheese, then end up with a "hand cut Philly cheesesteak".
Then add mushrooms, etc., the works. Yummy :kool:
Adn don't forget the freash homemade (on sale) 8 " roll hey, that's funny, you can no longer say ummm "bun/bread", ha. Not a problem Coco, I really like the sideways guy.. Oh yea :happydance: :happydance:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

oh yeah, had those on the rolll. Love em. Onions - yeah!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:28 pm 
Expert
Expert

hey! you cheated! you used 3 l's for rolll :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:27 pm 
Novice
Novice

Gotta be pig meat, so I vote for North Carolina style 'cause they're big into pork there. I could go for a nice pulled pork sandwich right now.