trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:21 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

As someone who is still trying to figure out tones, I have a few questions for those of you with more experience.

I know that cab design and speaker selection make a big difference in tone. With that in mind:

I have an SIIIv6 head with an open back 2 x 12 cab loaded with a Celestion G12H30 / V30 combination. (I think it sounds great)

My next amp project is going to be a TC-15 head and cab.

What type of speaker / cab combination will give me the "clean / chime / Voxy" sound that I think the TC-15 is aimed for. I'm planning on another 2 x 12 for this if it makes a difference.

In other words:
Open, closed or semi-open back cab? Why? Difference in tone for each?

Alnico, ceramic or one of each? Why? Difference in tone for each?

Suggestions for speakers to cover the range of costs?

What happens if you would use a "clean / chimey" speaker and cab combination with the sIII or a "growl and distortion" speaker and cab combintationwith the TC?

A friend of mine in the sound field once told me that when you get to the point where you double the cost of a component and can hear no decernable difference, buy the lower cost component (quality being equal) because you are at your auditory limit.

With that in mind, how much of a difference is there (really) between say the Celestion blue (or gold), the Tone tubby alnico and the BBQ blue dog and/or silver bell?

While we are at it, what about speakers for the Deluxe also?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:47 pm 
Expert
Expert

Ya know, don't ask me :shock: :shock: :D
I have so many speakers. We'll just have to keep sending them back and forth.
The same thing will happen to my son. Gonna be fun.
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Jac, wecome back :D :D

Trying to cut down on the experimentation because by the time I switch stuff around, I won't really remember what the original set up sounded like.

Besides, I don't really know what the "classic" amp, cab and speaker configurations were. :oops:

I mean I know Marshall and closed back 4 x 12 with greenbacks, Bassman and 4 x 10 open back, but alnico or ceramics? Vox and alnico 12's, but closed back 2 x 12?

Need to do more homework, which is why I was asking the questions :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:20 am 
Experienced
Experienced

pretty sure vox was open..

why not try your TC-15 with your current 2x12 and see how you like it?

lbet uses tone tubby's in open back for just about everything; from what i hear you cant go wrong..unless of course you are looking for marshall 4x12; then you need that... :P

matchless uses 2x12 open backs for thier voxy amps... fender even does for alot of thier amps... 2x12 or 4x10 open's....

sorry im not much help... just trying to get as much info out of my head as i can

What i have seen is alot of 2x12's with a board on the back that can be removed or added to completly seal the cab... i would imagine this is the best of both worlds as you can just add or remove the board and effectivley have two different cabs...