trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:53 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This technique can be used on amps to affect tone.

A conjunctive filter can be an effective way to cut excessive highs in a circuit without having to dump them through caps to ground throughout the preamp. They are also supposed to even out the response of the power amp throughout the normal frequency range.

To quote Dr. Z who used them on the c@rmen ghi@.

What other specific features are unique to your amps?

I probably have a couple of original designs that are unique to my amps, and they were all evolved from a circuit that’s called a conjunctive filter. It’s a filter that goes across the primary side of the output transformer. The c@rmen ghi@ has a very traditional conjunctive filter, or corrective filter, as it’s described in the RCA Receiver’s Handbook. It affects the primary impedance of the transformer and allows frequencies to be very flat, or balanced. From say, 100Hz to 3K, the amplitude is the same.
So from the high E to low E strings if your pick attack is the same, you’ll get the same volume from the notes. The volume of individual notes isn’t frequency dependent. So going back to what we were
saying earlier about the touch dynamic of our amps, all that is related to the conjunctive filters that we use, and you’re really in control because of them.

And this is unique to the Zs?

No one else uses it. (edit: this was in 1999) It’s something I found in an old RCA book of my dad’s, and again, it’s referred to as a corrective filter. It was just a little side note on how to make an amplifier more linear within a certain band of frequencies. When you strum a chord, each note makes it’s own contribution to the sound without one note overpowering the other. Jazz players love it when they’re playing those big, 6-string chords it really puts a twinkle their eye when they hear it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:35 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Heres what ward tried. This was to fix a peculiar sonic problem possibly related to a non Trinity OT.

He said:

"I tried several different values and these are the most transparent, the amp still sounds like itself. The CF just removed the garbage on top. It was a last ditch effort for me besides changing the transformer, which I'm sure is the culprit. $3.00 worth of parts compared to the cost of a better transformer made sense to me and I like what it does. "

We would not normally recommend a CF in an 18 watt, this is for reference only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:12 am 
Friend
Friend

Yesterday I read about something similar, however the filter was used across the speaker terminals. A 100ohm resistor in series with a 0.1uf. The purpose was to reduce the impedance of the speaker at high freq. According to the article it should be useful in NFB designs to prevent high freq fom getting reamplified. Since the speaker aint taking care of these freq because high impedance at high freq.

Maybe this is too hifi for guitar. But I guess, tuning the filter(0.1uf seems high) could definetly help getting rid of high end crap(If there is any) above guitar freqs. I'm no expert on this but it seemed like a nice addition to this topic. The article is from a swedish magazine, the society of soundtechnology.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:26 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

If the article is on-line, you can link it in. The filter has it's specific uses.
Thanks for the input.