trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've searched a bit and can't find anything related to this question, though I thought I read something a while back:

We all know matching speaker and amp (OT) impedence is important. However, I have an 8 ohm cab I want to use on occasion with the resident 8 ohm TT in my Deluxe combo. For proper impedence match I need to run EITHER the one resident speaker OR the dual speaker cab. If I run BOTH the extension cab and built in speaker (in parallel), that's 4 ohms.

I've read that Fender circuits (and others) can tolerate a mismatch "one up" or "one down" in value (4 instead of 8, 16 instead of 8). But I suspect since this is not ideal, I may lose something in the tonal spectrum. Or is that not true?

Any suggestions? Other than springing for a 4-12 cab, wired series/parallel.

Another but related question: Anyone compared the 1-12" sound with 2-12's and with 4-12's on the Deluxe, with the same kind of speakers? What are your conclusions? (I've read Brent's excellent study of different manufacture speaker types).

Thanks and a very merry Christmas to you all!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Hooking up 16 to an 8 ohm tap is not a problem really. You will get more 'crunch' out of it because the reflected impedance will be half of what it was designed for. This will put the output tubes into a less linear range and give it more crunch. I t may eventually wear out the power tubes prematurely.

If you hook up a 4 to an 8, you get the opposite happening i.e. the reflected impedance will be double. In both cases, you put the output tubes into a less linear range and get more distortions with less power transferred to the speakers.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks, Stephen!

So my other question doesn't get lost, here it is again for anyone who has an opinion to share:

Anyone compared the 1-12" sound with 2-12's and with 4-12's on the same amp, with the same kind of speakers (and impedence match)? E.g., Deluxe with 1-12, Deluxe with 2-12s, Deluxe with 4-12s; TC15 with 1-12, TC-15 with 2-12s, etc; all settings the same as speakers are added/subtracted, and with the same speaker type/manufacture (or at least the same speaker efficiency, to remove that variable from the test).

What are your conclusions? An earlier post from Stephen states there will be a 3db boost in volume when the no. of speakers is doubled. But what about change in tone, coverage/spread of sound, perceived cleanness of sound, point when the sound begins to go crunchy, etc.

(I've read Brent's excellent study of different manufacture speaker types, but it doesn't answer this question).

Thanks!
Jim