trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jul 19, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can Anyone Recommend...
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

I am evaluating the possibility of doing a highish gain amp with a downsized power section. I really don't want to go the 100W route.

I was thinking of maybe coupling a high gain preamp with a stiff/clean quad of 6V6s/solid-state rectifier poweramp. I am looking for a low-ish power kind of deal, but I still want good/tight low-end and of course good note definition.

Would it be better to just stick with 2 6L6s? If anybody thinks this could be cool- if they have references (links or schems) for a similar poweramp section... please let me know.

Also- Any OT/PT recommendations would be great too.
Thanks,
Anthony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:44 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I can heartily recommend the TRIWATT. 4 gain stages with OD engaged. 20 + Watts with 6V6 or 30+ W with KT66. Tight? You bet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:07 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Stephen!

The Triwatt looks/sounds awesome... but this build is for my metal side.

I am thinking I will probably build a Soldano type amp (maybe a hotrod or SLO OD channel) and keep it at 50watts for that big power section sound.

I have a had few people who have asked about different amps they should buy and/or I should build for them. I don't know how many times I've said "The Trinity... (TC15/18W/Triwatt)...". Too good for the price/quality compared to any other dealer.

I think at some point I am going to have to own one of each.

For now the little plexi will do just fine! Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:34 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

subjecttochange wrote:

If you go thru the theads, you'll see references to Metal - seriously!!
But dont take my word for it. Hope we can get some TRIWATT players to chime in !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:45 am 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
subjecttochange wrote:

If you go thru the theads, you'll see references to Metal - seriously!!
But dont take my word for it. Hope we can get some TRIWATT players to chime in !!

I'm probably qualified to chime in here since I'm intimately familiar with the Triwatt, own a Soldano Avenger (the SLO dirty channel), and just finished making a hardcore metal record where we used my 2 ch mesa dual rectifier and 5150!

I think the Triwatt is pretty darn close to what you're describing. It has enough gain, and is certainly tight enough (it's as tight as my Soldano). There's ample good bottom end there too... but it's just a little bit different than what you'd get out of a bigger power section. I think if you were to build the Triwatt with 4 6v6's it would be EXACTLY what you're describing. HOWEVER, if you use pedals as part of your tone, I think you'll have no problem at all with the stock Triwatt... We should probably clarify too, are we talking old school metal or new metal? If you're talking older stuff then the Triwatt will nail it right now, new stuff with a pedal... As a matter of fact, give me a few days to post clips and I'll try to coax some metal clips out Stephen's prototype that I have right now!! ;)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:33 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok guys... now you're just making my decision making harder.

I would love to hear some clips!

Truth be told- I'm not looking for lots of gain. I just want the character of that sort of amp. I'm looking for the heaviness of a new-metal type of sound but with the tightness and defined crunch, more vintage styled amps. I'm not really into the scooped sort of sound. Basically like a hot-rodded plexi/jmp type of thing is my typical go to.

I try to use minimal pedals. Distortion pedals are a last resort for me- when possible.

I don't like the fizzy qualities that a lot of new "metal" amps have- but old amps maxed get out of control and mushy IMO.

I think I have become a bit picky and so I will be experimenting no matter what... though I must say that having another Trinity on the mind doesn't bug me one bit!

Also- If I do decide that I want to go with the 4-6v6s- what irons would you recommend? I was thinking of using JJs since they're kind of indestructible and pretty good sounding too.

Thanks and do let me know when you've got those clips

I will post some references of the sort of tone I'm looking for as I find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:47 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, from your description I think the decision is easy... Triwatt all the way. The tones you describe is EXACTLY what the Triwatt excels at. Skip the 4 6V6's and build it as is with Stephen's transformers. :)

I've asked the guy from the metal band I just finished (he's this uber 16 year-old shredder genius!!) to come and play the clips for me - he's game so as soon as we can figure a time, we'll get some clips... what cab/speakers do you use so we can try to get close to the configuration you'll be using?

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:12 pm 
Friend
Friend

Ok. My goal was to get something with a lot of low end power- that grunt you hear in 1959SLPs and other large amps. That's why I was thinking the 4 6V6s @ ~40W-45W.

Currently I have two cabs.

One is a self-built 2x12 Closed back with a Celestion V30 & CL80. It's ok.
Neither are my favorite speakers- but together they sound decent. 16ohm

The other is a 4x12 with 4 orig. Celestion G12-65s... 8ohms. Scored that one for $200! I will probably piece them out into smaller cabs in the future. Most likely a oversized 2x12 cab, and put the other two in 1x12 combos.

I would use primarily a stock Gibson LP STD. I do have a strat w/texas specials too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjYfYM_Tr3Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AWjqzg8nr4 (with mod switch engaged)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvHcy5-2 ... re=related

In all of these clips- I love the grinding-ness of the distortion, and even though its a youtube vid- with crappy sound quality, you can tell neither are plagued with that fizzy high-end but still have power.

Still think the Triwatt is up to the challenge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:55 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

IMO, Triwatt does those type of tones easy-peasey...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sweet!

Well then get those clips! I can't wait!

Thanks bgroup!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, it depends... (that's always the response, eh?).

Gain-wise, you won't have an issue. With the OD engaged it has an ass-load. Even with my P90 SG & my Strat gain is not an issue. I don't think power will be an issue - at least not in any sensible scenario. It's loud enough for anything I'd need for sure, and has plenty of balls.

The difference will be in the voicing I think. Those clips seem to have more natural compression than my Triwatt does. The TW is more open. It's also very tight & "fast" - much more so than my 2204, for example.

With that said, I'm running my TW through a 2x12 with clones of 70's Fane's. That cab sounds completely different from the Celestion loaded cabs I've tried. Through a G12T-75 or V30 cab you'll get more of that classic "hollow" Marshall high gain tone and it will probably sound more compressed too. It certainly does with my V30 2x12 cab. I haven't tried the 65's myself, but from the clips I've heard I expect it will contribute to the tone you're looking for also.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

Yeah- I wasn't worried about the gain department- but I was worried about the voicing. Obviously I can tweak the circuit to be more suitable for something I'm looking for.

I think I understand what your mean about tight/fast. I have a Trainwreck Express clone. It's really tight and barky. It does have more tube compression (on higher gain settings)- though I think the voicing is still unique to that style of an amp versus something like a Soldano.

I definitely want a modern-ish sounding amp, just with some of the vintage characteristics.

I'm still lookig forward to those clips though.
Thanks guys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:59 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

What you describe is tough, metal players typically don't think in terms of small amps lol.

maybe a triwatt with the 18w transformers lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:27 pm 
Friend
Friend

Revv23, In my original post I had said that I was looking for something with up 4 6V6s- which if they're JJs running pretty high on the plates/screens- there's up to a 40-45W output. OR just sticking with 6L6s @ 50W. I also recently thought about making it a KT88 section @ around 60W output. So small is relative.

I understand I won't get the sound I'm looking for out of an 18W sized amp... Though my 18W rocks... but it's just another sound I've been searching for.

I was just fishing for suggestions or ideas since...

A. I'm pretty new at this.
B. There are loads of guys who are quite knowledgeable and helpful.

Last I'm not really a metal player- just looking for that sound... Just so happens metal is where I've heard what it's most like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:03 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I wonder if a bassman style circuit with a SS recto and beefy trannies might be your bag.

(like a JTM45 with 6L6's and a solid state recto.)

So many options lol. Just get the triwatt haha!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:48 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Haven't forgotten about those clips - just crazy busy right now! I'm going to try my best to have something for the weekend! 8) 8)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:00 pm 
Friend
Friend

No worries. I can be patient.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:57 pm 
Expert
Expert

Just an FYI. I have some high gain-ish clips I'm gonna post to give you an idea of what the Triwatt can do. Just working on hosting them somewhere & I'll post them.

Clips now posted in the Clippage section...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:51 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks Emohawk. I listened to the clips.

They sound good, but not what I'm looking for in this amp. It's got plenty of gain, but I want something with grinding power... but I DON'T want it to sound fizzy or maxed. I'm not interested in smooth harmonically complex lead tones. I've got that base well covered with a modified Trainwreck express clone.

I'm looking for brash and hard- aggressive, but defined and clean cut all at the same time. I do not want this to be a sound that ever "goes to 11". I'm thinking of more a rhythm tone than lead.

I do understand though that the amp sounds quite different recorded vs in person. I'm still going to wait for Brents clips and see. I'm not in a rush to go out and buy parts or anything. But it's my next project type of idea.

I wish I could try one out in the flesh. If only I lived a little closer to Canada... I do enjoy San Diego though 8)