trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Signature Tone?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Hello, I was just wondering what most people do with their amps? There are many players that have a signature sound, and go with that with almost every song. I'm thinking of bands like AC/DC, or players like Billy Gibbons. They have a sound that is theirs, and they love using it as often as they can. Then there are the others that love to either match the tones of others, or love making up tones of their own. I remember watching the film "This Might Get Loud" and they were talking with Edge from U2. He said that he gets an idea in his head for the sound for a song, and it may take him weeks or months to figure it out. Which effects to put where, levels, etc... until the sound he was thinking of comes out of the guitar. That is the patch for that song. And almost each song has it's patch.

I was just wondering what do the majority of people do. My thought is to vary the tone. I mean, I just built a 5E3 because of the variety in one box. But I am finding a tone that within that spectrum that I love. I could just sit on it all day long if I could.

What do you guys do?

Post subject: Re: Signature Tone?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 pm 
Novice
Novice

I don't like to fiddle too much. I like gear and use a lot of different things (pedals, amps and guitars) but once I get a sound, or a couple, that I like I don't like to elaborate too much. Especially live.

I see some people's pedalboards and they have like 3 or more ODs. I don't get that. Absolutely nobody can tell the difference (or care) between them. For me a Fuzz Face and a Rat usually does the trick. I sing a lot so that might have something to do with me enjoying simplicity. 5 pedals are about my limit. Things start sounding the same and getting redundant after that.

Of course there are always exceptions to what I said..... :giggle: :roll: :wink: