trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:14 pm 
Expert
Expert

I've been debating a 2X12 build for quite some time now...Right now I've got a 1X12 with a G12H30 in it...and it sounds great. But the 2X12 was going to be another option.

I've heard folks tell me to build a 2X12 since the 2X12 has this or that over the 1X12...I've owned em all, 1X12s, 2X12s, 4X12s, combos....etc. Frankly, with the exception of the element of projection....I find the only basic difference between the various cabs to be volume...and thats it.

I've enjoyed the 1X12 cab, mostly because I can crank my amp and get it to the sweet spot....

So as a result, I've long debated building another 1X12 with exactly the same dimensions as the current one...and put another speaker in it that contrasts my current speaker. This way, I have two different yet complementary speakers. If I need the extra volume, I can either bring another head (and run the amps side by side) or bring both 1X12s and plug the amp into both of them.

please discuss....(if you're interested, of courese :D )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

The coolest thing abotu a 2x12 is mixing different kinds of speakers. Mix a Greenback and a G12H30 and see what I mean. They really complement each other.

Then there's the weight issue! I'm 44 years old now and my back isn't in the greatest of shape. I had a 2x12 Bad Cat Trem Cat and the thing weighed about 100 lbs!

But, hey, you can get that 3 extra db's by adding the extra speaker. I find the 2x12's to often be "fuller" sounding. Just bigger sounding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:02 am 
Novice
Novice

On stage, speakers cabs sound fuller when you spread them rather than stack them. It stands to reason that having two speakers in seperate cabs spread out will get the same effect. The reason is they aren't both beaming at the same place, but you get the off-axis bassier sound of the other supporting the lows and mid range at the position where the one speaker beams the most.

Bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:00 am 
Expert
Expert

Frank, I have just today finished a 1 X 12 with a Sammi ME-300B50 in it. I made it in a "open front" cabinet as the Kevin O'Connor book recommends and It has about the same volume as the 2 X 12" sealed unit I have but much better bottom end. Early days but so far I am very pleased with it.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:06 pm 
Expert
Expert

Scott_F wrote:
The coolest thing abotu a 2x12 is mixing different kinds of speakers. Mix a Greenback and a G12H30 and see what I mean. They really complement each other.

Woah! isn't the spl on a greenback something like 6db less than the G12H30? I would imagine that you could barely hear the greenback.

Mixing speakers for cool tonal cross-coverage is great. But...that's not something that you wont be able to acheive with two 1X12's either.

Part of me prefers the idea of building 2 more 1X12s, each with different speakers. I've got the G12H30 here...get a red fang, get a V30...this way it provides the greatest flexibility. When I play live, I want to do so with two amps anyway...

I dunno..I keep going back and forth, but part of me really wants to do the seperate 1X12 thing...

-F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:54 am 
Expert
Expert

Legin wrote:
Frank, I have just today finished a 1 X 12 with a Sammi ME-300B50 in it. I made it in a "open front" cabinet as the Kevin O'Connor book recommends and It has about the same volume as the 2 X 12" sealed unit I have but much better bottom end. Early days but so far I am very pleased with it.
Nigel

Nigel,

I'm going to play devils advocate here for a sec? How the hec is your 2X12 the same volume as your 1X12 cab?

Also....what's the 'open front' cab you're refering to?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:58 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, the open front design cabinet has a sealed back but a port at the front the same size as the speaker, the theory is that it allows the sound that an open back design normally projects backwards to be directed forwards however doesn't restrict the movement of the cone as in an infinate baffle design. I was sceptical however I decided to give it a go and was pleasently surprised. I must admit I am only comparing it to connecting to my TSL602 but volume wise it appears equivalent. You end up with a cabinet around the same size as a 2 X 12" but only pay for a single speaker. London Power has a book out about cabinet design by Kevin O'Connor.
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:11 am 
Friend
Friend

I built a detuned 1x12 cab from the O'Connor book too and I'm very happy with it. It sounds a lot bigger than my open back cab with the same speaker.

Cheers,
Rick.