Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help about gear
PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi,

Let me introduce myself first. I Like to build thing like electric guitar and guitar Amp even if unlike many of you I don't play much guitar because a lack of talent and assiduity. I already built a 18W Plexi and a Tramp. A Triwatt is on the bench for some time now. The question I have is this one. In the included audio Clip (hope I can upload it) I would like to find the best guitar + amp combination to have that kind of sound. I am unable to reproduce it with my 18 watt nor my Tramp using a Gibson LP or a Fender Strat. I don't even come close. If someone could get me in the right way to get that sound it would be great. The 18 Plexi is paired with a 2x12 Greenback+G12H30 combination. In the Tramp Combo I have a Jensen P10R

I know that Pickup and other thing all have a role in the sound but like I said I don't even come close to get it. Maybe I'm due to build a Tweed??? Unless my future Triwatt with a Cannabis Rex and a Wizard can do it??

Anyway Thank you for any help

Sound Clip: Capitaine No - Dur __ avaler Extrait.mp3 - 1.18MB

Post subject: Re: Help about gear
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Sergelac,

Nice clip. Of course much of that tone is due to fingers of the man holding the guitar. He has a great touch and vibrato. IMHO, those sounds should be available through the amps you have - particularly the 18 watt with the speaker combination you describe. I've been playing my 18 watt sIII for a week through a Marshall 4 x 12 - although I can't say my ability is on par with the player in the clip - I can say that I've found that thick, swelling single note tone that's so satisfying. I plug my Epi Les Paul into the low "normal" channel and jumper the normal high into the TMB low. Then I blend the settings on both channels to get the right amount of distortion and sustain - the volume is pretty loud when I hit the right combination. I'm not using a pedal.

Sooo...I gave the clip another listen and fired up my rig. I may not be as close as I think. I'll still stand by the thought that much is due to the player's excellent technique though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:23 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thank you very much for your help.

Do you use the bridge pickup on your LP? And if you can post your setting on each knob that would be great.

Thank's again

Here is another great sounding clip: La Chicane - Calvaire Extrait.mp3 - 0.45MB Much more effect in this one I suspect.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:05 pm 
Novice
Novice

I believe you're gonna need Strat/Tele-style single coil pickups to get that sound.

- This Space For Rent -

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

Great clips. The use of delay is pretty obvious. BTW...I found a dubious solder joint on pin 8 of V1 on my sIII - after re=soldering I can get close to this tone but I don't have the skill set of this guy (or gal).