trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:53 pm 
Friend
Friend

Kind of branching off of bitsandvolts' effects post...Are you using any overdrive or boost for your 18 watt? What's working best for you? I think we all know how different the same overdrive can sound from amp to amp. This might be a good place to share any experiences with specific overdrives and our 18 watts.

Now I should start by saying that I think we all know that one of the best things about this amp is its dynamics and the ability to go from clean to dirty just by using the guitar's volume knob. I also realize OD's can be great for distortion when having to use low volumes. I'm thinking of this more in the context already having the sound and volume you want, but using a boost for solos or a little more distortion, if that makes sense...

I'm using a SG Standard (HB's) or HWY1 Tele into a Trinity TMB w/ parallel effects loop and a Heritage G12M. For boosts and overdrives, I've used a TS10 Tubescreamer and an EH Double Muff. This isn't an effect, but another alternative for those with TMB's would be to set the TMB side differently and then use an A/B box. Regardless of pedal or guitar, I get the best results using the normal channel. It seems any of these boosts is a little too much on the TMB side.

The Tubescreamer with the drive turned down and level up sounds great with both the SG and the Tele. I pretty much use this strictly for solos, it's a little too agressive for rhythm playing at louder volumes. The tone knob really comes into play when switching between the 2 guitars.

The Double Muff is a bit dull with the SG, but works great with the Tele. It's pretty inexpensive, made in the US, and is true bypass. It seems that it cuts out the highs, so that's perfect for the tele. It also doesn't have a tone knob, so you can only adjust the volume and overall gain.

Using an A/B and switching between both of the channels is pretty neat too. I try to set the mids on the TMB side pretty high. Once you reach a certain volume on both channels, the sound is pretty similar so this option really works best at slightly lower levels.

I'd love to hear other people's experiences too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:36 pm 
Expert
Expert

LOL...man, I don't even remember the effects post...

Anyway, regarding boosting..

I've got a barber LTD pedal that is my go-to pedal for everything OD. It's not a tubescreamer...a much more neutral mild od...it's very mild actually.

It's perfect to send a very overdriven amp into complete molten sustain/distortion.
It's also perfect to send a mildly overdriven amp into heavy overdrive...
and...it's also perfect for sending a very clean amp into a mild breakup.

It really does everything.

I've popped it in front of my sIII with very good results. Granted, I can't run the gain up all the way on the LTD or the volume maxed on the sIII....but if you keep the sIII at about 5/6 wide open...and have the gain at about 12 oclock....you're pretty much into metal territory!

I also have a Ross/keeley compressor clone that I have been known to run as a booster...by dropping the sustain all the way and cranking the level. Works nicely!