trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: speaker choice
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

I'm getting ready to order one of the premier Vintage 212 cabs from Avatar and can't decide on speakers. Dave recommends the Alnico Blues for lower powered "booteek" amps. Alot of folks here seem partial to the hellatones. I've heard neither speaker. I play an LP Std., LP Special (p90's), '62 reissue Tele, LP Deluxe, and a Squier Tele Custom II (p90's).
Yes, a Squier...it is really a great little R&R machine. Musical references:
ABB, Black Crowes, Zep, Small Faces, The Band, etc.

I'm building an sIII at the moment, but I see a Lighting and a 5e3 head in my future so the speakers need to be able to cover a range of amps tonewise.

Chime in people.

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:30 pm 
Expert
Expert

The Vin30/G12H30 is very popular and is the speaker combination in my 2X12. Given your musical tastes, you pretty much can't go wrong with this combo...

The red fang is a low cost alternative to the Celestion Blue...and might be an option...

The Blue/G12H30 is also a good combination....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:04 pm 
Friend
Friend

I've tried 3 different speakers with my TMB - Eminence Governor, an old G12H100, and a G12M Heritage. My favorite is the G12M, it's also the newest and most expensive so that could have something to do with it! All of them were definitely usable.

The Governor is rated at 103db and is a 75 watt speaker. It's a good speaker, plently loud. It's supposed to be Eminence's version of a Vintage 30. It's tough to describe speaker sounds and I've never used a V30 with my Trinity, but it does emphasize the mids like a V30. The G12H100 was about 20 years old and well broken in. It was probably the most neutral of the 3 - I think the G12H30 should sound pretty similar. The Heritage Greenback is easily the brightest. I have to turn down the normal channel's tone knob almost all the way down when using a tele. It's rated at 96db, but it's still really loud. It's also a 20 watt speaker, so the 18 watt Trinity is really getting the most out of it.

I think since you're planning on using the cab for several different amps, consider the wattage of the speakers. The greenback is great, but I'm kind of limited with what kind of amp I can use with it. You're shopping at the right place, though. I've had great experiences with Avatar. They definiately have the best prices too.