trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Harbor Freight?
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 2:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

Anyone here have any experience with the cheap tools at Harbor Freight? I went there looking for the cheap chassis punch set, and saw some other things that would be useful if they're not total pieces of crap. In particular, there was a cheap fake Dremel Roto-Tool-like set for about $10, and a small bench-mounted drill press for $39.95. Anyone know if these things are good enough for even light use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 8:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

I guess the best way I could answer that question would be that I've gone into my local Harbor Tool store a couple of times and never walked out with anything. The stuff just doesn't look reliable. I know a lot of people shop there when they need a specialized tool for a single project and don't want to spend the big bucks for a name brand.

With that said... I just bought a Dremel kit today for $60. I'm sure 3 of those Dremel knockoffs costing $30 total might last as long. In that case it probably would be a good choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:40 am 
Friend
Friend

I actually bought a drill press from them. For the money $200 it is more machine than I've seen anywhere else. It is not a wimpy lightweight weekend warrior version. It it a 16" floor model, 12 speed. Pretty heavy duty construction. Somehow it qualified for free shipping which I find amazing! I think someone made a mistake on that. The 'central machinery' brand name I'm pretty sure refers to central China. The problem I did have was the chuck that came with it had a huge amount of runout (eccentric wobble). The spindle is fine though. After spending way to much time trying to explain to the customer service guy what a drill press is and then what was wrong with mine they quickly sent me out another chuck which works fine. It is still not as precise as a high dollar chuck but is not bad. Higher quality chucks can also be purchased to fit a wide variety of machines. For the money it is really not a bad way to go, even if you choose/need to upgrade precision parts.
I also have a friend who bought a 30" sheet metal brake from them and he is very pleased with it. We've used it to bend up a couple of chassis with good results.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

Some of the prices are so low, I wonder what quality they offer. I always thought if it's too good to be true, it's not true.

just my .02,

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 4:55 am 
Novice
Novice

ajkimba wrote:
Some of the prices are so low, I wonder what quality they offer. I always thought if it's too good to be true, it's not true.

just my .02,

That's why I asked. I approach that place with a certain trepidation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 8:50 pm 
Friend
Friend

I was in there today and bought myself a heat gun. They were on sale for $9.99 and I had a coupon for 10% off. I figured if it only gets through this one build I'll be happy. Inside the box was a card stating their warranty policy... 90 days. I think I can get 90 days out of this sucker. Personally, most of the stuff looks real cheap. It's all low end stuff made in China.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:33 am 
Novice
Novice

I use a bench top drill press from them and also a punch set. The Drill press works great and I got it on sale for @$60. It is great for making boards. The punch set is cheap, but I don't need it that often so it works. If I was really ding a lot of punching I'd get a Greenlee set.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:28 pm 

If it's something you are going to use all the time, buy something better. If it's going to hurt you if it breaks, buy something better. I buy stuff from there, but the sockets , wrenches, & power tools?-be careful!
I love their spray guns!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

I bought a bead blasting cabinet from them that was a great deal compared to anything else in its price range. You just have to look at what you're buying a decide if it's worth it or not. I've bought cheap air tools there that did what I wanted to do. Almost all of the stuff is made in China.