Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Guitar wiring question
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:11 am 
Novice
Novice

Here's a question for a change of pace from the amp talk:

I'm building a LP which will use the standard 3-position selector toggle (plus some other goodies). Will I get any crosstalk or other issues if I use 4-conductor wire (inside a common shield) to wire to and from the toggle? Should I instead use separate single conductor with shield, meaning I'll have three separate cables going thru the drilled hole and under the neck pickup rout to and from the toggle?

Another possible issue I can think of might be small loss of signal and more delicate work in soldering, since the 4-conductor I've seen uses smaller gauge than single-conductor with shield.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I'm no expert....but there is such small voltages present and the impedances of the pup coils is low enough (7-10K) that crosstalk shouldn't be a concern.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:36 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Quote:
Another possible issue I can think of might be small loss of signal and more delicate work in soldering, since the 4-conductor I've seen uses smaller gauge than single-conductor with shield.

Jim, to use this as an example... the gauge of the center conductor of the RG 174 that Stephen supplies with his kits is 26awg with a stranding of 7/34, which would make it relatively small and stiff as far as hookup wire is concerned. Personally I would like to see a 24 or 22awg wire used for this application with a higher strand count of 19/36 or 19/34 respectively. It would be a bit more robust and more flexible to work with.
Jim, feel free to PM me if there is a particular wire type/conductor count etc. you're looking for.

Joe G