trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:25 pm 
Friend
Friend

I finally got around to start work on the kit. A few things I'd like to toss out there, for as far as I've gotten. I think it would be easier to wire the heaters before installing the hardware on the back of the chassis. It seems the hardware makes for some tight angles when soldering, but that the wiring would not interfere with later installation of the hardware. YMMV on that.
There seems to be some 'fossils' in the instructions when it comes time to install the trannies.
The instructions say "Braid the High voltage (Red – Red/Yellow – Red) and the heater leads (Green – Green/Yellow – Green)"
The next step seems to call for unbraiding the wires and twisting the 2 reds together. Meanwhile, there is no 'green/yellow' wire. There are 2 greens and two yellows, which are also to be twisted together in the very next step. Also, the instructions call for the red/yellow wire to be tied into the star ground. The layout does not seem to indicate this, and there is some confusing verbage in the instructions.
I am assuming the instructions are saying the same thing twice here:

"Connect the center tap of the high voltage leads from the transformer to the power amp 3 lug, star ground point located between the 50/50 uF can cap andV6
From the Power Transformer, Connect the Red-Yellow (High Voltage Centre Tap) to the Star Ground lug."

Please don't take this wrong. I am not complaining or criticizing. It's pretty clear in the all in all. I'm just pointing out some things I've noticed.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:20 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ok, and thanks as noted. We will go over the instructions again. BTW, are you using the latest published documents? We did update them and provided links. If not, please email and we will resend a link or the pdf documents.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:36 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for your feedback. Edited version 1.6:

1. Tip: To facilitate wiring of the heaters, builders may find it easier to install the following parts once the heaters are wired up.

2. Clarified the braiding and twisting of the power supply wiring in Steps 3 and 4.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:44 am 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
Ok, and thanks as noted. We will go over the instructions again. BTW, are you using the latest published documents? We did update them and provided links. If not, please email and we will resend a link or the pdf documents.

Yes, I'm using ver 1.5 of the builders guide. Is there a new layout? Mine's dated 21Apr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:51 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

just emailed latest to you to be sure. version 14 & 15

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:54 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

and a revised PSU section based on your feedback. Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:22 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

moved topic so you could continue with your comments.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
moved topic so you could continue with your comments.

Thanks! I hit a snag due to my stupidity. I somehow lost the IEC socket. I saw it 2 days ago, but now it's nowhere to be found. Ordered another one and it should be here Tues. I did notice another errata on the layout page. The layout seems to indicate the the twisted red and black heater wires go all the way to the power tranny. The green wires that power the heaters don't seem to be on the layout. Not a big deal and easy enough to figure out. But, I thought I'd let you know.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:07 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Ok, will check that too. Your input is valuable!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

I got back at it today and assembled the turret board. It was pretty straightforward, save for one discrepancy. The builder's' guide (v1.5 - My 1.6 stops before it gets to the turret board) calls out a 1K 2W resistor between the diode and the 50uF 450V electrolytic. The layout and Kurtlives excellent pictorial guide show a 68K 1 watter. Since I didn't have the 1K, and did have the 68K, it wasn't much of a mystery. Thanks to Kurtlives for the excellent pictorial. It's a tremendous help.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:58 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

JoeWPgh wrote:
The builder's' guide (v1.5 - My 1.6 stops before it gets to the turret board) calls out a 1K 2W resistor between the diode and the 50uF 450V electrolytic. The layout and Kurtlives excellent pictorial guide show a 68K 1 watter.

Thansk. Will check the manual now..

EDIT: This was fixed in "Trip Top Builders Guide Ver1.6"

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

I'm getting close, so I'm getting rather excited. I should know tomorrow how successful I've been. But I do have a suggestion for mounting the turret board. Screw the retaining screws in tightly from the top. Drop the spacers onto them, then the board, then lock washers and nuts. This would be easier, and cleaner looking. The machine screws could probably be a 1/4" shorter, done this way.

So instead of this:

If all is correct, carefully install the board into the amp. Locate the 4 -#6 X 1” screws, spacers and lock washers. At one end, put the screw through the lock washer, then the board, then the spacer and screw it into the threaded hole in the chassis. Align the remaining board holes and fully install the board. Loosely tighten the screws until all are located and then tighten screws firmly.

This:
If all is correct, it's time to carefully install the board into the amp. Locate the 4 -#6 X 1” screws, spacers, lock washers and nuts. With the chassis right side up, thread the 4 mounting screws through the threaded holes until tight. Flip the chassis upside down and slip the spacers over the screws. Press the turret board over the screws and attach with the lock washers and nuts.

Just a thought.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:59 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the feedback. Will take a look at this. There are a few more comments on the manual I will be adding shortly. Stay posted.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:24 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

new manual v. 1.7 posted in the dropbox. if you didnt get a notification, let me know.