trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:52 pm 

hello all, new to the forum and just finished my build a few weeks ago. wow! this thing sounds fantastic, amazingly similar to my 1987(72'). initially played for three hours straight and completely forgot about the boost switch until the following day!. so everything is great tone wise but i'm left with one issue..... ghost notes, especially on slow whole note bends (G and B stings, upper register) its noticable everywhere but more so in these areas and even more with the volume cranked. from what i've researched this could possibly be attributed to one of two things, either microphonic tubes or an undersized filter cap in combination with a tube rectifier. originally i wanted to build this with a solid state rectifier but i'm hesitant now after hearing it with the tube rect. any thoughts on where to begin?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:42 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congrats on the build.

Not much feedback regarding Ghost Notes for the 18 watt amps. But I found this on the gearpage.

"Ghost notes can quite often be caused by the amps power supply, especially in an amp with small or relatively small value filter capacitors. The sag that occurs when an amp is pushed (which manifests itself as a sort of compression - which we like!) causes a 120Hz signal from the power supply to modulate the actual guitar signal, resulting in ghost notes. Volume always makes it worse. While adding larger filter caps can help reduce it or eliminate it, you may not want to do this to an amp or may not be able to.

If the amp uses a tube rectifier, the size of the first filter cap has to be kept under a maximum value that the rectifier can handle. Adding more capacitance has an impact on the sound of the amp. While it can increase an amps ability to produce low frequencies, it will make the amp have less sag and may also make the amp sound more sterile. Having a tube rectifier increases sag also.

A lot of amps will exhibit this to a greater or lesser extent. Old AC30s had very small value first capacitors and can really have this problem a lot, as do other class AB amps with tube rectifiers and small filter caps. You could use a solid state rectifier, which would allow you add more capacitance, although it would be an experiment, as obviously the sound would be affected.

In your amp the power supply is very much part and parcel of the sound of the amp and an unfortunate by-product of this is ghost notes."

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archiv ... 49895.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:34 pm 

i caught a thread somerwhere relating ghost notes to output transformers which brings me to this question....what do you usually do with the extra leads on the output transformer? I left the complete length, heat shrinked the ends, coiled them and tucked them underneath the turret board, just wondering if that would create a problem. alsol I'm measuring 315 volts on the rectifier with 120.5 wall voltage, seems a little high, what do you think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:56 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jimrindge wrote:
i caught a thread somerwhere relating ghost notes to output transformers which brings me to this question....what do you usually do with the extra leads on the output transformer? I left the complete length, heat shrinked the ends, coiled them and tucked them underneath the turret board, just wondering if that would create a problem. alsol I'm measuring 315 volts on the rectifier with 120.5 wall voltage, seems a little high, what do you think?

You've taken care of the leads appropriately.

The B+ should be around 340 DC at the filter cap. What is it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:39 pm 

B+ voltage is 351. also wall voltage is now 123 and rectifier is up to 317.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:48 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

jimrindge wrote:
B+ voltage is 351. also wall voltage is now 123 and rectifier is up to 317.

B+ is good!