trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:08 pm 
Friend
Friend

Well, I'm at the point where I believe I've finished my wiring and am about to find out why I'm not really finished. How's that for optimism? I have powered up without the rectifier installed and am getting a voltage reading of 313 at pin 7 of the EZ81 socket (it's supposed to be 290, so I don't really know if that's a significant discrepancy).

Checking V1 through V5, still in "standby", I'm getting essentially nil readings at all, so I assume something is wrong. It's my understanding that it's bad to switch out of standby without a speaker or other load connected, but maybe that's not true without the rectifier in.

Am I supposed to be getting voltage at the filament leads of V1 - V5 with the amp in standby? And if so, could anyone see from the photos below what might be wrong? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

Very nice looking build.

Without a load (the rectifier and other tubes) I wouldn't worry about that slightly high voltage coming out of the PT. You should have the same V on pin 1.

Regarding no voltages on V1 to V5 in standby - the only reading you should be getting above Zero (besides what's directly on the PT) is on the heater pins. Without a rectifier installed (and in standby), you're not feeding the board with B+ so there are no voltages. B+ comes off of pin 3 on the rectifier and goes through the standby switch, then the cap can...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:34 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks, TuTone. I am getting positive readings at the heater pins, only 2.4 V. So is it time to put in the rectifier tube, add a speaker connection and flip the standby switch?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:15 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

You should have 6.3 Volts AC across the heater leads.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:20 am 
Friend
Friend

Sorry - I should clarify: I'm getting 6.6 Volts AC from pin 4 to pin 9 on the 12AX7 sockets. The 2.4 volt reading was from either pin to chassis ground.