trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:20 am 
Friend
Friend

Plexi build finished and ready to power up. The EZ81 I got on eBay a couple of months back (I got a great price on a pristine Mullard) is nowhere to be found. I keep my tubes in cigar boxes and a couple of drawers, and it just isn't there! :evil:

I'm either getting Alzheimer's or a pack rat stashed my rectifier somewhere. I've ordered another EZ81, but meantime the waiting is a real tease. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 pm 
Expert
Expert

If it's any consolation, I doubt the rectifier will make a big difference tonally unless there's a significant difference in voltages. I'm sure Coco and/or Phil will correct me if I'm full of it! :) Gotta love old stuff for implied mojo though!!!

I have a NOS EFT in my sIIIV6 and there's little or no difference between it & a new EH I had in it for a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

No, I'm not that bummed about losing the Mullard; it's just that I'm chomping at the bit to fire this thing up and see if she flies.

Post subject: Rectifiers
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:23 am 
Friend
Friend

People are always quick to point out that rectifiers make no difference in tone but I could easily here a difference when I went from a JJ EZ81 and a Mullard EZ81. Similarly, I noticed a tonal difference between Benidix rect's and other NOS rect's in Fender tweeds. On the other hand, I can't tell you the number of times I have changed rectifiers and noticed NO difference at all. IT depends on the amps circuit and the electrical differences in the rectifiers.

I can't take a series a rectifier tubes and characterize their tonal characteristics like maybe one can with 12ax7s. No way. Every amp is different. The rectifier is tied to the performance of the amp and in some cases this can cause perceivable changes in tone.

I must say that my Trinity 18 watt Plexi is one of the most sensitive amps I have ever played when it comes to tube swapping. This is a brilliantly simple circuit with high quality components that will allow ever nuance to come through. Imagine the the nuances you can get from your fingers.

Peerless
www.peerlesstone.com