trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:56 pm 
Friend
Friend

While I'm sitting here waiting for my kit to arrive I've been scouring over the various pics and diagrams like there's no tomorrow. I'm planning on spending a lot of time keeping my lead dress as clean as possible. It's my understanding that an 18 watter can be quite sensitive to it's lead dress so I'd like to get a few quesitons out of the way before I begin.

Is there any problem running the OT's output wires under the board up to the selector switch? I also plan on shrinkwrapping them for this portion of the run.

Regarding the many wires leading from the board to the various pots... I've seen several pics with these running closely together. Some are even shrinkwrapped (grouped together). Should these wires be kept away from each other or is it acceptable to run them next to each other?

To give you an Idea where I'm coming from... I see things like the first filter cap on almost every drawing and wonder why it isn't installed with the 2 positive terminal facing inward? This would mean you would only have the 1 negative (green) wire crossing the cap rather than the 3 positive leads. This would definately reduce the visual clutter.

I realize most of the above falls under the heading of personal preference but I just wanted to confirm I'm not missing something. I'm also open to any of your suggestions and personal lead dress preferences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:08 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
18 watter can be quite sensitive to it's lead dress

The original 18w.com TMB was especially sensitive to lead dress to v2. The sIII is pretty good. The Trinity TMB design reorganized the tubes in order to reduce/eliminate the problem.

Quote:
Is there any problem running the OT's output wires under the board up to the selector switch? I also plan on shrinkwrapping them for this portion of the run.

That's the way I do it & it works. The run is not long. Suggest you braid them.

Quote:
Regarding the many wires leading from the board to the various pots... I've seen several pics with these running closely together. Some are even shrinkwrapped (grouped together). Should these wires be kept away from each other or is it acceptable to run them next to each other? .

Much easier to use cable ties to hold them together neatly. I would not put shrink tubing on them

Quote:
I see things like the first filter cap on almost every drawing and wonder why it isn't installed with the 2 positive terminal facing inward?

Good idea. Go fo it! Neater and less wiring is usually better

Quote:
I realize most of the above falls under the heading of personal preference but I just wanted to confirm I'm not missing something. I'm also open to any of your suggestions and personal lead dress preferences.

Route the mains wires outside edges/corners of the chassis & twist them together.
Put heat shrink over the ends of the shielded cables on the tube ends.
Put the 68K grid resistors right on the tube pins.
Use shielded cable from Volume to V2 on TMB/sIII channel.
Cable tie the control pot wiring.
Route the B+ , standby ets. in between the tranny & board and Cable tie together

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:57 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the response.

After looking at more pictures I realize that I'm just going to have to wait until the kit gets here before I start making decisions. It seems that each pic has a slightly different OT position. This could be due to the fact that some of the pics are not Trinity chassis.

I'm also hoping to dress this thing up nice, but I also want to make sure I don't paint myself into a corner and start shrinkwrapping everything in sight. That would only make it more difficult during any debug process (if required).

I'm just getting anxious.

Ok, I'm better now, whew! hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 5:57 am 
Expert
Expert

+1 on the cable ties, makes it neat and easy to undo if you need to move stuff. Don't panic, the amp goes together like a dream and sounds fantastic. I'm sure there will be plenty of help as you need it, there is always someone awake :-)
Nigel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:03 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Easto wrote:
I'm just getting anxious.

You should be able to start soon as long as the post cooperates! I think if you go through the postings on thissite, you will see exactly how many people built their sIII. BTW Transformers always go the same way! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:42 pm 
Friend
Friend

ok, maybe a stupid question, but what is the best way to apply the shrink wrap to the wires? I am touching it with my soldering iron and it works, but it doesn't look nearly as neat as some of the pictures around here. Is there a "right" way to do this? Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:06 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Try a blow dryer; or a match.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:29 pm 
Expert
Expert

I'm probably too late.
But, I'm living proof to use the cable ties instead of the shrink wrap.
Much, much , neater :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:49 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

A heat gun is the typical method. One can be had for under $30 bucks at sears and various craft stores.
There was a thread on this subject, but it may have been accidentally deleted :oops:

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:32 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

joeyvelour wrote:
There was a thread on this subject, but it may have been accidentally deleted

that would have been me :oops: a hair dryer works too & you may have one around the house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:55 am 
Experienced
Experienced

This would be a good topic for "Resources" one of these days, along with wire harnessing and lacing...

Joe G

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 6:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

coco wrote:
joeyvelour wrote:
There was a thread on this subject, but it may have been accidentally deleted

that would have been me :oops: a hair dryer works too & you may have one around the house.

Hair dryer worked great!