trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18 Watt Plexi Vol Pot
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:41 am 
Friend
Friend

The vol pot on a 18wPlexi on the TMB side 500k on the build directions.

Lets say, hypothetically of course, that the 500k pot in this spot only gives a resistance of 125k when measured in circuit. All the other pots measure at values closer to their desired values.

Whats would this do to the tone and volume curve of the amp?

peerless
www.peerlesstone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:41 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

hi.
Well you won't get 500K across the pot because if you look at the schematic you can see a dc path through the tone stack that is in parallel with the volume pot. If you mean that there is a lower value pot in there then there will be more attenuation of the signal so..less volume.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:15 pm 
Expert
Expert

125K across the pot or from the wiper to an outside lug?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:15 am 
Friend
Friend

Accross the pot. Isn't the wiper in the center lug? I can seem to measuring approximate expected values when measurins accorss the two outside lugs (wih pots in circuit). There are also a pair of "indentations" further down the pot at the base of the outter lugs. If I place probes there I seem to get more accurate measurements a little easier. I'm still learning all this stuff.

If I take a 500k pot that's in the circuit, say the TMB bass pot, and measure across the outer lugs I get approximately 500k. I can replicate this across all the pots along the front panel. Some of these pots have more components soldered to them than others and the amount of "business" on the ends tends to make getting accurate reading more difficult. I noticed these little divits at the bases of the lugs. If I measure across these I get readings more easily (no fluctuations/dropouts based on where you placed the probes in regard to the solder on the lugs ). The readings from below the lugs closely approximate the idealized values.

Regarding the TMB section. I get readings that match the values of the pots across the panel until I get to the TMB volume pot. This pot reads 125k rather than 500k.

I'm asking how this is effecting the tone and performance of the amp? If it is. Maybe its supposed to rad 125l when attached to the circuit. I don't know. Thus I ask.

A lot of gorilla electronics would not have been necessary of I would have measures the value of each pot before soldering it into the circuit. Incredible newbie mistake.

My amp sounds great. I mean really good. But I mostly play it in low volume situations at home. When I had a chance to finally gig with it I hard a ahrd time getting a good overdrive/crunch signal from just the amp and I have to use an overdrive pedal to boost the front end. Since this is a vintage style amp I accounted for this due to tubes, speakers, and playing style. I know I need to tweak the amp some to make it respond best at stage volumes. Not the circuit, the before mentioned stuff,

TO SUM UP:
Regarding the TMB section. I get readings that match the values of the pots across the panel until I get to the TMB volume pot. This pot reads 125k rather than 500k.

I'm asking how this is effecting the tone and performance of the amp? If it is. Maybe its supposed to rad 125l when attached to the circuit. I don't know. Thus I ask.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:41 pm 
Friend
Friend

kurtlives wrote:
125K across the pot or from the wiper to an outside lug?

Thanks stew. I think this is the accurate answer I was looking for.

peerless
wwe.peerlesstone.com