trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

I suppose it was inevitable that with all the tweaks and messing about I have done with my amp that I appear to have buggered something...

Went to turn it on after installing PPIMV but had no sound. Double and triple checked the components and soldering on my install and still no go. Removed it thinking perhaps I hooked it up incorrectly

After restoring it to pre PPIMV parts still no sound.

I started checking voltages and they seem reasonably in spec but get a high pitched buzz when I touch my meter probe to pin 7 on V4. I get an in spec voltage but the buzz is very disconcerting (sounds like it might be coming from one of the trannies) but it is hard to tell with amp upside down.

suggestions?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:31 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

did you get it resolved??

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:55 am 
Novice
Novice

I think that it was a shorted OT likely caused by some crappy soldering in my speaker cabinet - While building my amp and the cab, I had half assed soldered the 2x12 speakers to a makeshift temporary 1/4" female cord so I could test my amp. While testing during the build and some mods, sound would cut out sometimes and I assumed it was something to do with my amp workmanship and I spent a lot of hours trying to figure it out - it never occurred to me it might be something as simple as a bad jack connection to the cab, but subsequently I believe that is what the issue was that fried the OT(s).

When the amp would act up I would turn it off to check, solder and re-solder whatever I thought could be the problem only to turn it on and sometimes it would work, sometimes it would work but cut in and out, and others not work at all - was pretty frustrating

Over the course of 2 weeks I actually fried 2 OT's - one of which was toasted when I posted the above, and the 2nd within a few minutes of hooking it up (that really pissed me off)

I found the bad speaker jack/soldering after installing the 3rd OT. I could not figure out why there was no sound after installing the new OT so I hooked up a different amp to my test cab to see if the speakers were working. When it did not work either I found the crappy jack setup and fixed it. At least I had not run the amp enough with no load to hose a 3rd OT

I am guessing that the bad connection caused the load to cut in and out and I ended up eventually hosing the OT's from running them with no speaker load. Once I re soldered the cab jack and speaker connections I have not had a problem since -