trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Starting My First Build
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

I've lurked here for a while gleaning whatever info I can, lots of helpful and knowledgeable people. I'm starting on an sIII kit that I got from Stephen and I'm bound to have many questions along the way - thanks in advance for the help.

I've got a simple question already - I've wired up the heater circuit, the next step is to install remainder of parts on chassis. Do you install the front plexi panel at this point? I'm concerned about scratching/damaging it as I continue the build.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:44 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

You can install the pots and jacks etc. without the plexi panel. Then install it later.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:09 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

careful putting on the plexi panel - I managed to crack mine because the holes were tight for the pots .. I pushed one in a bit too hard because it was binding a bit - crack. You might consider slightly boring the holes larger if its tight

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the tip. If it's tight I'll carefully ream it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

Need a little help.

Completed the amp this morning, the normal channel is awesome. However, the TMB doesn't produce any sound. I had to go to work so I couldn't do anything all day. Tonight I re-checked my voltages. Pin 1 of V1 is only 86 volts, it should be 155V. The voltage going into the 100k resistor (R4) is ~270 but drops to 86V across the resistor. I've checked the resistor value, it measures 103k. There's another 100k resistor next to it (R6) that shares the same turret for a voltage source (it feeds pin 6) and it's at 152V. What's going on? I've re-soldered both ends of R4 with no change. I've confirmed that C1 is .0047uf and connects to VR1. It doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by Koop on Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:40 pm 
Novice
Novice

Found it. I had a damaged pin on the tube. All is good now.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:25 pm 
Novice
Novice

This amp is awesome. I'm having a blast, I can see how building can become an obsession.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Lindz wrote:
careful putting on the plexi panel - I managed to crack mine because the holes were tight for the pots .. I pushed one in a bit too hard because it was binding a bit - crack. You might consider slightly boring the holes larger if its tight

I find if I loosely attach all the hardware through the front panel, then when they are all in place, I tighten it up and havehad no problems.

Glad the amp is awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:31 pm 
Novice
Novice

:D
It is absolutely awesome, thanks Stephen.

Actually having the tube problem at start up was a blessing, it forced me to really examine the schematic and go over my hook ups versus the layout. It made me think a bit instead of just following the layout. In hindsight, the improper voltage reading indicated too much current through the resistor (if resistance is constant and voltage goes down, current must go up). So the shorted pin should have been obvious.

I'm so stoked on this amp and the iceberg of knowledge I've just chipped, I'm already thinking about another build. I'll think it over for a month or two but I think a Triwatt is in my near future.

Now for the question of the day. Please help me understand jumpering of the channels. I'm experimenting. I find if I plug the guitar into the normal channel and jumper into the TMB, the normal channel volume is primary (if I turn it to zero, no soiund regardless of TMB settings). However if I plug into the TMB and jumper to the normal channel I can mix any combination on the volume controls (including zero) and always get sound. Is this right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

Koop wrote:
:D
Now for the question of the day. Please help me understand jumpering of the channels. I'm experimenting. I find if I plug the guitar into the normal channel and jumper into the TMB, the normal channel volume is primary (if I turn it to zero, no sound regardless of TMB settings). However if I plug into the TMB and jumper to the normal channel I can mix any combination on the volume controls (including zero) and always get sound. Is this right?

Playing it again tonight I see this is not what's happening. When I plug into the normal channel and jumper to the TMB, if I turn the normal volume all the way down I have to turn the TMB master up to compensate. So I guess this would be correct. I'm loving this amp and all the tonal possibilities.