trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hello everyone

I am very happy with the sound of my amp now - and after a lot of trial and error have licked the buzzy aftertones I was having like Unimind in the Plexi fizzy thread.

That said my 18 watt is a bit hissy and has a fair bit of buzz and hum that I'm trying to improve now that I have it working really well otherwise

I am sure it is my layout, grounding and lead dress that are suspect as it was a first build and has been modded 20 times since, but for the past few days I have been struggling to kill the noise. It is much noisier than any of my other (brand name store bought) amps - but sounds better than most :)

I did build it pretty much to the stock Trinity layout though there are now a few different value resistors and caps here and there (Brown Plexi, etc)

I've tried a few things, reflowing solder joints, moving wires here and there, redid the shielded cables more carefully with the grid stoppers soldered right to the tube pins instead of the terminal strips, and yesterday after not much luck I got frustrated and tried a couple different versions of star grounding instead of the buss and even tried running every single ground on the whole amp to two stars near the PT, one for preamp and one for power section - In spite of all these trials I still have a lot of noise so thought I would ask some more experienced builders some questions:

1. The 18 watt uses carbon comp throughout - I would assume carbon comp would introduce hiss not hum vs metal film etc, correct?

2. Can slightly suspect filter caps or coupling caps introduce hum? No reason to suspect them other than it seems that nothing I have tried with the grounding seems to greatly improve the noise floor much. The amp sounds great, just has a lot more hum/buzz than I would like. Perhaps I should start replacing components?

3. it hums a bit even with v1 and v2 tubes pulled indicating some grounding or noise in the PI or Power section, but gets progressively worse as I add V2 and V1 tubes and hums/buzzes a LOT with a guitar plugged in and the volume dialed up really high.

Touching the chassis kills the buzz somewhat but there is still more than I would like -

The fact that it is much worse with the guitar plugged in and guitar volume on seems like input jack issues also but I have gone over it a few times - any tricks here? Tried grounding the buss at the input jack and near the PT, and have tried grounding the jack to the chassis or just the buss - was modestly quieter with the jack grounded only to the bus with the buss bolted by the PT but its still noisy.

4. for tone pots is it best to drop leads to the chassis and run them to the board (longer cable) or run straight to the board in the air with the shortest leads? I've seen pictures of both in peoples amp builds but most seem to drop to the chassis. How about bundling and twisting these leads as they run toward the pots?

5. I used 18 gauge solid core for the entire amp except heaters where I used 18 gauge stranded. Does the thicker wire tend to attract noise more than 20 or 22 gauge for signal leads?

6. on jacks and pots do you bend and mechanically fasten the leads for a better mechanical contact or just solder? I would assume cold solder or a lot of solder may be noisier than a good mechanical bond with solder tacking it in place. But most builds I look at people seem to be just poking the wires into the holes and soldering and though I have tried to be careful in this regard but am curious what you experienced builders do?

7. tube sockets: if I hold a chopstick or other item (like my hand - yes I am being careful) in the air very close to the v1 or v2 sockets the hum exponentially increases - particularly pins 2 and 7 on v 1 and pin 2 on v2. These are all shielded leads (grounded at pot end). I assume doing that is just messing with whatever signal is being radiated through the circuit making it worse. Does this indicate another issue or fix that I should look at or is this normal? lead orientation?

8. tubes? they seem fine but perhaps they can be noisy too?

9. For a star grounding scenario how would you group the various grounds ideally vs the buss on this build (plexi)? Perhaps I was doing this incorrectly and introduced ground loops instead of fixing them. I've read Aiken and Valve wizard grounding explanations and sort of understand though there are contradictions here and there - i.e. several stars grounded to chassis in a few spots, several stars but only grounded to chassis in one spot, buss grounded near input jack (like Trinity layout), buss grounded near PT etc. etc.

I'm curious if one of you really experienced builders was trying to make an 18 watt as quiet as possible how you would lay everything out and ground it?

10. solid or stranded wire for grounds? I used solid going from the pots to the buss as it was easier to work with but perhaps stranded would be better for a little more surface area? what gauge?

Sorry for all the questions but I hope some of you can give me a few tips

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Expert
Expert

1. Yes MF will be quieter. Will also change the tone, higher power ratings will also decrease floor noise.
2. They could but doubt it, new components rarely fail. Orient NP caps outer foil to the lower impedance side for lowest noise (the difference in noise/tone is debatable here).
3. Noise increases with a guitar plugged in and more gain stages in the circuit. Sounds ok.
4. Personal preference. I drop them and run them along the chassis floor.
5. Nope. 22 AWG or 20 AWG is fine for the signal wires. I'd be more concerned about routing/lead dress and the use of shielded cable.
6. Mechanical connections are always way better. You'll thank yourself in the long run.
7. Seems ok
8. I sometimes run through 10 or more tubes in V1 to find the "one". One with best tone and lowest noise. Very common practice with DIY builds.
9. Follow the Trinity layout, you'll get excellent results.
10. Doesn't matter really.

Plugging in a guitar will increase the noise, that's normal. I would first look at your guitar and see if its the source of the problem. So grounding, wiring, shielding, pickups all need to be looked at and considered.
If you follow the Trinity layout using good quality components and pay good attention to your wires and routing you'll have a very quiet amp.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:03 pm 
Novice
Novice

I find the normal channel of my sIII to be bit noisy, but it only really becomes a bother if I have the gain turned up (or if I'm playing a Strat :P ).

Don't want to hijack, but if I remove V1 there is no sound at all from my amp. The hum reduces when I touch the chassis or my guitar strings, which seems to indicate a ground issue. I find it interesting that yours hums even with tubes pulled.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:56 pm 
Novice
Novice

Sorry if I hijacked :oops: Maybe it's the upcoming holidays but it seems like there's very little activity on this board.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:06 am 
Novice
Novice

yes my amp hums with no tubes in v1 or v2. In fact if I have the TMB volume and master dimed with no v1 or v2 tubes it has a little hum, and it is much worse with v2 in, a little worse still with v1 in plus more hiss as well. Makes me think I have some noise around V2 somewhere in particular as I think it is pretty excessive even with no tubes - suggestions?

I have a few pics of my build as it is now below where astute viewers may find some bozo things I have done or lead dress that would add noise - preamp sockets, pot wiring and power section are shown in the 3 pics. Any comments or criticism of my layout and lead dress would be appreciated

You will note a few oddball things in my power section - its diode rectified - note terminal strip with 2 diodes below PT, and I am dropping the b+ because of that with a series of diodes on the CT that are grounded with the power section there. Just a temporary solution while debugging and tuning the amp so its not really solidly anchored yet. Looking at these mods, are the mods themselves or the way I have them installed or oriented going to pick up noise? ie. does having diodes vertically oriented as they are or in the chassis where they are add potential for hum or buzz. What about grounding the voltage dropping diodes the way I have at the power section grounding star? Again I do not understand ground loops or interference well enough to know if there are no no's in the way I am doing things sometimes - these were all mods I made in attempts to get rid of the buzzies as in Unimind's thread. The diode across the cathode resistor is what finally took care of that but I liked the sound with a diode rectifier so I left it in.

The preamp section now only has one jack with both channels connected to the one jack so I can use either the normal, mixed or TMB controls all the time by using the volume knobs. There is a .01uf cap from the jack ground to chassis ground as well. The one jack was partially an attempt to kill noise (less input jacks, less wires = less chance for noise to get in) and also a precursor to trying to set it up for channel switching. That said the amp is WAY too noisy now to even think about adding the switching assuming that circuitry will likely add noise, so I want to quiet it down first

Anyway, back to grounding and noise...

I read at Aiken's site the following: "One last point - the output transformer secondary "common" should be run directly to the shield connection of the output jack (preferably using an isolated jack), not to the buss. Then run a second wire from the output jack shield connection to first filter cap ground (if amp has no negative feedback). This keeps the heavy output stage currents flowing in a loop from the secondary of the output transformer to the speaker and back, keeping them out of the sensitive preamp or buss ground circuits, and off of the chassis.."

Does the "first filter cap ground" refer to the cap can ground?

At Paul Ruby's site I picked up this tidbit on killing filament hum - the trinity layout shows and my amp has the filament center tap grounded but he suggests grounding it to the Cathode resistor positive as even quieter on a high gain amp

He says "The easiest thing to do is ground the center tap (CT) of the filament winding. Each filament wire will still go negative w.r.t the tube cathodes, but only about -9V at the negative peaks of the AC wave form. That's good enough in most amps to keep hum out of the signal path. Very high gain amps, however, will get some hum from this. Even though only a little is getting in, the high gain preamp amplifies the little hum to something audible. High gain amps need a positive DC reference for the filaments. A better, but slightly more difficult, solution than grounding the CT is to connect it to some clean, positive DC voltage source. If the power stage in your amp is cathode biased with a nice big bypass cap on the cathode resistor, you're set! Just tie the CT to your power tube's cathode. There's somewhere between 9VDC and 35VDC at this node. It's just as free and easy as ground, so use it instead of ground if you have it."

The question I have is this.. he says "if you have a nice big bypass cap..." my amp has a smallish 50uF bypass cap, If I were to try this should I add a bigger cap first? I don't understand the nuances enough to go ahead without a bit of input or explanation here

Anyway, as usual thanks for any suggestions!

Attachments:
PICT0206.jpg
PICT0206.jpg [ 193.24 KiB | Viewed 7170 times ]
PICT0204.JPG
PICT0204.JPG [ 204.34 KiB | Viewed 7170 times ]
PICT0205.JPG
PICT0205.JPG [ 182.73 KiB | Viewed 7170 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:06 pm 
Novice
Novice

I borrowed a power conditioner to see if that would make a difference. This unit also warns of faulty circuit, which it did immediately when I plugged into the outlet I use for my amps. I went across the room and used a different outlet - lo and behold, my amp is nearly silent. Just a light hiss if I turn the gain past 6!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

Interestingly I thought about pickups, cables and power conditioning after reading peoples replies to noise threads here and elsewhere. I did test various guitars and cables and they are all similar so I don't think any are particularly bad - some of my guitars are noisier than others but with other amps they are quiet so it is definitely this amp that tends toward some buzz.

As for power - I live in a condo complex, do have light dimmers, computers, and all sorts of gizmos running as well as some CFL light bulbs in various parts of my house so there is a good possibility that the mains are noisy - I am going to invest in a power conditioner for sure but would appreciate any comments on my couple questions above in the mean time

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

The kind of noise that comes in through the AC mains supply is usually like buzz riding on the 60Hz (or 50Hz outside of N America). Ground loop hum inside an amp is just a low-pitched hmmmmmmmm sound. First make sure you know which you're dealing with here.

Lindz wrote:
yes my amp hums with no tubes in v1 or v2.

That means that him is getting in at the PI stage.

Lindz wrote:
In fact if I have the TMB volume and master dimed with no v1 or v2 tubes it has a little hum, and it is much worse with v2 in, a little worse still with v1 in plus more hiss as well.

Sounds like you've contradicted what you just said.... :?

Lindz wrote:
I am dropping the b+ because of that with a series of diodes on the CT that are grounded with the power section there.

Not good. You should have a good solid connection between the PT secondary CT and ground. No zeners or switches or other such junk in the path. A much better place to use seners is in series with the B+ line after the first filter cap. This will also help the zeners to last longer.

Lindz wrote:
Does the "first filter cap ground" refer to the cap can ground?

Look at the schematic and the layout, and it should be perfectly obvious. It's the first filter cap that comes after the rectifiers. Also bear in mind that Randall Aiken is devotee of star-grounding, while we usually use buss grounding with 18W amps, although we apply the same basic prnciples of star grounding.

Lindz wrote:
At Paul Ruby's site I picked up this tidbit on killing filament hum - the trinity layout shows and my amp has the filament center tap grounded but he suggests grounding it to the Cathode resistor positive as even quieter on a high gain amp.

That may make a small improvement. Nothing big. I do it with some of my amp builds.

Lindz wrote:
The question I have is this.. he says "if you have a nice big bypass cap..." my amp has a smallish 50uF bypass cap, If I were to try this should I add a bigger cap first? I don't understand the nuances enough to go ahead without a bit of input or explanation here.

You won't know without trying.

FYI, here's one of my posts from 18watt.com on the subject of grounding, which you may find helpfull.
Quote:
A few points and observations.

- As I've said before, successful grounding is 90% science and 10% voodoo.
- On the 90% science side, good grounding practice is based on the principles of star grounding, even if your ground system doesn't physically look like it's a star. This is the way that grounding is done in professional electronics design. A ground buss is just a stretched out star point.
- So stages should be thought of as individual entities with their own ground or buss section, with their relevant filter cap also connected to the same point (see Phil_S' comments).
- It's vital to understand that the the preamp and PI stages typically have very small ground currents and high sensitivity to any noise being injected into their grounds and power rails.
- Power amp and power supply stages typically have large ground currents, low gain levels, and fairly high amounts of ripple on the rail. If these large ground currents are allowed to circulate through the preamp/PI ground system, they can induce noise which the preamp/PI stages will amplify and send to the rest of the amp.
- In general, ground return currents belonging to one stage should never cross ground currents belonging to another stage, and especially between currents of the "light" and "heavy" ends of the amps.
- Avoid running a single buss wire for all the pots which is separate from the preamp grounds, as typically these pots are associated with different preamp stages. So break the pot grounds between groups of pots which belong to the same stages. Then connect a single wire between each group of pots and the preamp ground buss section (or star point) that belongs to that stage.
- As long as you keep these rules in mind, a number of different grounding systems will work well. You could even ground the whole amp to a single buss wire if you wanted.
Phil_S wrote:
Separate the stages for grouping purposes. Each end of stage is the cathode of a tube. The first stage is the input jack, filter cap, and cathode. If the B+ node is shared, then all of the cathodes are part of the stage (like V1A and V1B, typical). Pot-related grounds are included in the stage that ends with the next cathode.

Some excellent advice here - and it applies equally for star or buss grounding, although it's based on the star grounding concept. With a buss it's a good idea to split the buss into virtual sections, so all the grounds from each stage go to the same part of the buss. Ground currents must not cross between stages.
Phil_S wrote:
...don't use the chassis as a buss. It is a shield. For that reason, don't establish a number of ground points on the chassis.

This is a very important point.
Phil_S wrote:
On shielded wire...avoid it's use as there is thinking that the added capacitance is a tone thief. I can't say one way or the other to be honest.

Personally, I wouldn't tell people to avoid shielded wire. There are some places it's pretty much essential, such as from the input jacks to the first preamp tube grid(s). It's often needed for connections to gain and volume pots to help prevent squeal.
Phil_S wrote:
It is not placed on the buss. See above regarding chassis as shield, it is part of the shield, so any convenient chassis bolt can be used.

I always ground shielded wire to the ground buss, at the part of the buss which belongs to the relevant stage. The one exception is the input jack(s), where I usually ground the shield to the jacks' ground lug(s), which will be connected to a chassis ground lug very close to the jacks, where the buss also connects.
GibsonGM wrote:
PI is grounded to the power section, all preamp gnd connections on the same buss...

Personally I prefer to see the PI (at least of the LTP kind) grounded to the preamp side. The PI is a gain stage and has very small ground currents, which we don't want heavier ground currents mixed with.
GibsonGM wrote:
I question if I should eliminate the preamp-to-chassis connection and run a wire over to the power grounds, or is it ok to just ground preamp right to chassis??

It's very OK to ground the preamp buss right near the input jack, as that will help reduce interference. It's also *not* a good idea to run a long ground wire back across the amp to the heavy current side. It increases the possibility of noise getting being picked up.
GibsonGM wrote:
Gonna replace all input jacks with Cliffs soon to avoid 'the loop'.

That should help a lot. :)
Phil_S wrote:
I've seen people swear by the system of making a chassis ground near the input jack, the way you've done it. I don't do it that way. That doesn't mean what you did is wrong.

I've done it both ways, and it's worked fine. These days I go for having the preamp ground near the input jack, as I think it's a tad quieter.
Phil_S wrote:
I don't have any builds with a MV. My feeling is, if the MV is tied in after the cathodes of the PI (post PI MV), then ground the MV with the power section. If you have it at the tail end of the preamp and feeding the PI, then it belongs with the preamp grounds on the buss.

I usually keep the MV pot grounded with the PI/preamp, even when it's a post PI MV. I tend to visualise the MV pot's wiper as the natural break point.

rjgtr wrote:
I use a simple 3 point grounding scheme.

I prefer to think of that as a 2-point grounding scheme, plus one safety ground connection, since that latter one isn't part of the actual amplification circuit, although it's critically important for safety.

Although in theory we shouldn't use the chassis for a ground return, which is what happens in a 2-point system with separate preamp and power amp lugs, it appears to work well when done in this limited way, at least with an aluminium chassis. I have built a number of amps using this scheme and they've been real quiet.

It doesn't always seem to work so well with a steel chassis. However, I did build one amp in a steel chassis with separate busses for the PSU/PA "heavy" end, and for the preamp/PI, and then connected both busses to a single lug on the chassis. It worked real well, although with hindsight I now wish I had positioned the lug closer to the input jacks.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:44 pm 
Novice
Novice

Thanks for the thorough reply as usual Phil. I am learning a lot from you and a few others that are taking the time to help out, and want to let you know I appreciate it, especially since I know it must be frustrating to answer dumb questions for people who don't have a clue sometimes - ha ha. I do try and read to find the answers before I post

My question about the "first" filter cap may seem obvious to people with experience who would know what end of the circuit "first" refers to - to me, not knowing any better, the first stage of amplification would be the preamp so I kind of thought of that part of the amp as "first", though it did not really make sense to run a ground way over to a filter cap there. That is what my question was trying to clear up for me - your answer makes total sense if I knew in what context the word first was being used, but I did not

What I was asking about Paul Ruby's post re: grounding the PT center tap to the cathode resistor positive was if there were any risks of blowing something up or stressing other components if I tried this with the small bypass cap I have - he specifically says "if you have a nice big bypass cap" and I do not understand how big and why in order to have the confidence to try it

I get that I won't know if its quieter until I try, but I just don't want to blow anything up and thought that knowledgeable types that understand the electrical nuances better than I might help me avoid any problems and perhaps explain why it would should be "nice and big" and why.

thanks for the heads up about the application of the voltage dropping zeners in my amp- I did read a post somewhere when researching dropping the b+ mentioning that people at 18watt.com (perhaps you?) had given this poster a schooling about dropping voltage from the center tap to ground like I did, but I did not have access to that forum to follow up and could not find an explanation as to why .. other posts on the net suggested dropping b+ as I have done so that is what I did. But.. I will do as you suggested as it makes a lot of sense both from a noise and reliability standpoint when I think about it

I am learning.. slowly

ha ha

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:02 am 
Expert
Expert

There's no risk of blowing anything up there, with connecting the heater CT to the cathodes of the EL84s, even with a cap value that's too small. Just you may not get any hum reduction if the cap is too small.