trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:30 pm 
Novice
Novice

I built an sIII and absolutely love it. There's one thing I don't understand though. The signal for the normal channel is amplified through V1b, then it goes to the Tone and Volume pots. From there it's straight to the Phase Inverter with no gain make up. It seems like the signal would be pretty weak after the Tone and Volume pots. How does this work? :?:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:20 pm 
Expert
Expert

The tone network on the normal channel is not very lossy. So not much gain is losts to the tone control.

The TMB channel uses a typical three pot stack and is quite lossy. That is why the TMB has more stages and gain (well part of the reason).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

kurtlives wrote:
The tone network on the normal channel is not very lossy. So not much gain is losts to the tone control.

The TMB channel uses a typical three pot stack and is quite lossy. That is why the TMB has more stages and gain (well part of the reason).

Thanks, that's what I thought, I just don't recall seeing a single gain stage like that before. The normal channel seems to have plenty of gain and breaks up nicely, the TMB needs to be pushed more for the break up (has more headroom).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:20 am 
Expert
Expert

Koop wrote:
Thanks, that's what I thought, I just don't recall seeing a single gain stage like that before.

It's actually the standard Marshall 18W preamp. Although not common in most Marshalls, it is fairly typical for amps of the late 50s-early 60s Vox era.

Koop wrote:
The normal channel seems to have plenty of gain and breaks up nicely, the TMB needs to be pushed more for the break up (has more headroom).

In the sIII TMB variant, they have deliberately put in some measures to further throttle back the naturally available gain in the TMB channel. The regular 18W TMB, which the sIII derives from doesn't have those mods, and produces IMO a better level of gain. The actually clean headroom of the amp stays roughly the same, since that's more factor of how much clean power the power stage can push out before it starts to breakup.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:22 pm 
Novice
Novice

zaphod wrote:
Koop wrote:
Thanks, that's what I thought, I just don't recall seeing a single gain stage like that before.

It's actually the standard Marshall 18W preamp. Although not common in most Marshalls, it is fairly typical for amps of the late 50s-early 60s Vox era.

Koop wrote:
The normal channel seems to have plenty of gain and breaks up nicely, the TMB needs to be pushed more for the break up (has more headroom).

In the sIII TMB variant, they have deliberately put in some measures to further throttle back the naturally available gain in the TMB channel. The regular 18W TMB, which the sIII derives from doesn't have those mods, and produces IMO a better level of gain. The actually clean headroom of the amp stays roughly the same, since that's more factor of how much clean power the power stage can push out before it starts to breakup.

I looked at the Marshall 18 watt schematics on drtube.com and I don't see this circuit. Every iteration has each channel going through at least two gain stages (unless I'm missing something there).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:32 pm 
Novice
Novice

Sorry about the previous post, I'm not trying to be a jerk. I'm just having a hard time understanding how this much gain is achieved with only one triode before the PI.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:40 pm 
Expert
Expert

Triode driving a tone network with minimal lose, which drives the PI (has gain of it's own), which in turn drives the output stage.

Anyone of those stages can be clipping.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:08 pm 
Novice
Novice

Understood. I guess I'm just over thinking it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:08 am 
Expert
Expert

Koop wrote:
I looked at the Marshall 18 watt schematics on drtube.com and I don't see this circuit. Every iteration has each channel going through at least two gain stages (unless I'm missing something there).

I've no idea what schematic you've been looking at then. The legendary classic Marshall 18W has a *single* gain stage in each preamp channel (although the two Normal inputs can run their individual gain stages in parallel, but not cascaded).