trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 9:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: TMB Head Build Photos
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:45 pm 
Friend
Friend

Photos below were taken during the process of building an 18W TMB amp kit that I purchased back in December 2009 (yeah, not a typo) and finally got around to building this past week. I have several reasons why it took me two years to finally build it, but none of them are very good, so I won't bore you with my weak-a** excuses.

In addition to the basic kit, I also purchased the transformers and the head cabinet. The tubes are JJ's from Eurotubes, with one exception--the EZ81/6CA4 rectifier is a NOS GE tube I got from a friend.

I was extremely impressed with the quality of the Trinity kit and its excellent instructions. The kit went together without any problems and fired right up first time. I did run into a problem with squeal on the TMB channel with the gain and volume cranked. Thought it was probably a lead dress problem but it turned out to be the ECC803S (long-plate 12AX7) I had in the V1 position. Switched to a regular 12AX7 and the problem disappeared. The problem tube runs fine in V2.

The amp sounds great, though its pretty loud for home playing (which is all I do), so I'll probably run it through my BBQ Mini-MASS attenuator much of the time. The TMB channel with the gain cranked certainly has that nice early Marshall crunch I was seeking. Mmmmm, tasty!!

EDIT 2/17/12: Updated "gut shot" showing VRM installation, plus a VRM close-up. VRM MOSFET & mini-board are mounted in the open space between the PT and the turret board, directly below the "can" dual filter cap in the photo. The 1M control pot is mounted on the back panel, between the mains socket and the impedance rotary switch. I just enlarged an unused predrilled hole there to 3/8". I have not yet installed the DC blocking caps on the V1 inputs, until I have a chance to see if I run into objectionable scratchiness with my guitar control pots.

Last edited by duhvoodooman on Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:01 pm 

Amp looks great! I like the color. What is that color called? I'm getting ready to order a kit and was thinking about doing my headshell in white but I might just do that creme color, or maybe a combo color.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Stephen referred to the tolex as "Fender rough blonde" when I ordered it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:40 pm 
Friend
Friend

Very NICE :thumbsup:
I have been trying to contact Stephen about getting one of these kits ...I wonder if they are at NAMM ?
I have not deceided if im gonna do the plexi or the TMB
Im gaussing for one

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 pm 
Novice
Novice

Nice! :thumbsup: I built an sIII recently and absolutely love it. I play mostly at home in my basement, lucky for me my wife is very accommodating and doesn't mind me playing loud (most of the time). I just finished my Triwatt today and I'm waiting for the cabinet to ship.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:43 am 

copperheadroads wrote:
I have been trying to contact Stephen about getting one of these kits ...I wonder if they are at NAMM ?
Im gaussing for one

I've sent him an email also about buying a kit. Haven't heard back yet either. I've decided on the plexi but also was considering the TMB. I figured if the plexi needed more gain I could either tweek it or just rely on my od pedals. I'm anxious to get started on one as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

daveg62 wrote:
copperheadroads wrote:
Im gaussing for one

I've sent him an email also about buying a kit. Haven't heard back yet either. I've decided on the plexi but also was considering the TMB. I figured if the plexi needed more gain I could either tweek it or just rely on my od pedals. I'm anxious to get started on one as well.

I was thinking the same But i think that brown mod is calling my name

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:14 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I went with the plexi (middle of the road) and then made the Brown Mods. I tell you, the brown circuit has tons of gain. The nice thing is with the boost off you can get back to moderate gain. The amp is so versatile, from clean to mean, it's all in there.

http://www.soundclick.com/unimind