trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Sun Jun 30, 2024 1:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master Volume/VRM???
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:36 pm 
Friend
Friend

Wondering if someone would mind tutoring me a little on master volume and VRM. I am finding that even 18watts of pure tone heaven is apparently too loud for some folks, so I guess I am going to have to break down and do some kind of master volume. I have a power brake but when I hooked it up the amp just sounded lifeless.
What are people's suggestions for taming volume? Any suggestions (with wiring layouts of course) would be greatly appreciated. I have the "original" Plexi 18 with just a couple of Unimind's tweaks tossed in.
Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Master Volume/VRM???
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Depends on what your trying to archive, and what your playing it through ie 4x12 in an apartment or trying to quiet things down with a light hitting drummer? need more info

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:27 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Recommend scaling the whole amp with a VRM and using our layouts from the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:20 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I installed my VRM last night - whole amp. In the few minutes I got to play with it (kids were in bed), I can say it works very well. On the upper settings, it takes just enough edge off the volume to make nice tones a little easier to live with volume-wise. This is pretty much why I installed it, just to take the top edge off.

At the lower end, it sort of felt like a typical master volume type thing in which the tone seemed to change a bit.

But as I said, I need to play it a bit more and with a few different guitars. But so far, it's clearly usefule and sort of an item I'd not want to have to do without.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:45 am 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the replies. I am running the amp onstage through a 2X12 cab. The issue I'm having is tight quarters on small stages at smaller venues. It's suprising to me because my drummer is actually very loud. I have been trying to blend the gain/volume settings to get where I need to be, but I just can't get the response I need from the amp at lower settings. I will give the VRM a try.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:57 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

The VRM will work out nicely in what your looking for. IMHO There's also a very nice compression that happens as you turn it down a bit. Which you'll enjoy as you get the gain and volume up to the spot that cooks ;)