trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VRM, capacitors on V1
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:22 pm 
Friend
Friend

I chose not to solder the caps on V1 when I installed the VRM since the documentation said "try circuit only if inputs are scratchy". I had a little time today to check the noise level on the amp.

I really think it was quiet, however I compared it to my Deluxe Reverb.

I had the two amps next to each other, having no input I maxed out the volume on the two channels on both amps.

I found the Trinity Plexi to be a bit louder.

Just for the sake of it I mounted the two caps that came with the VRM and I noticed that the white noise level on the Trinity came down to the Deluxe Reverb level.

The TMB channel is a bit louder in noise when I use max gain compared to max volume on the Deluxe Reverb.

I still have not moved the 1M resistors to the V1, is that really necessary in my case?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just to be clear, the amp has very low noise level as far as I can tell.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:45 am 
Friend
Friend

thefretrunner,
I believe that, if I read all correctly, the cap/1M mod was to correct a possible issue when there IS input AND when the VRM level is in a lower volume position. The scratchy pot issue is not supposed to happen, with or without the mod, when the VRM lets the amp run at full or near full levels. Plug a geetawr in and live up to your username, "runnin' some frets" and bring that VRM down and see if ya got some issues. I will be eagerly awaiting your report on this issue, as an 18 with VRM is likely in my near future.
My $.02,
Gene

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:27 am 
Friend
Friend

I tried it today. With the caps the amp is really quiet, I would say less white noise than my stock DR.
After I put in those caps I would say the VRM was not working well on lover voltage, I need to get over 90 volt to get the amp to sound good, after that there are no problems.

I would however like to get it to break a little more/earlier, I am thinking about trying some mod. I wonder which one is the best to choose to get the amp more dirty without loosing the the cleans.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 3:28 am 
Friend
Friend

I am planning to move the resistors just to try the difference.