Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plexi w/? speakers?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:21 pm 
Novice
Novice

what speakers are you guys running?

i currently have a set of V30's being run...but looking for a more classic rock sound...

what do you guys use and recommend?

Post subject: Re: Plexi w/? speakers?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Greenbacks with the 18 watt are pretty common. Lots of clones of them out there. We use Tone Tubby alnicos.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:53 pm 
Novice
Novice

i had been thinking about greenbacks...but i've never played them before...and don't know anyone with them either...

what would be something comparable to it in the TT selection?

i've also thought about tracking down a Marshall 1965 cab...the 4x10...but again, i don't know anyone with one...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:41 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The greenback is a woody sounding ceramic speaker, 25 watts. It imparts a tone of its own . Tone Tubbys have a very natural sound, with no coloration, so there is nothin similar. If you want fast and crisp, take the ceramic over an Alnico. We put 4 10" Ceramic Tone Tubbys into a Marshall cab once, and it was very highly praised. Fwiw.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:28 pm 

I'm running my TMB into one or two Avatar 2x10 closed back cabs with Celestion Greenback 10s. It is a very classic sound, and I absolutely love it!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

V 30 and G12 H; great combination for classic rock.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:24 am 
Friend
Friend

I've used G12M Greenbacks, G12H30, and Celestion Alnico Gold with my Plexi 1x12. The Greenbacks have a very warm and woody tone. Great for classic rock, no piercing highs to speak of. They are also a very inefficient speaker, so if you're trying to keep up with a loud drummer, or another guitarist you may find yourself out of luck.

The Alnico Gold is a great sound, but strays too far from the classic Marshall tone for my liking. This speaker found a home in my TC15, which matches it very we'll IMHO.

the G12H30 is my favorite speaker so far with this amp. It's plenty loud, with ample bass and treble, while preserving the Marshall tone. There is a bit of a spike in the upper mids that can be problematic, but it seems less prominent in a band context.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:10 am 

I have been running mine through either my EVH 2x12 with G12H30s or my Mesa 1x12 with a Jensen Electric Lightning. I prefer the Jensen!! That is a killer speaker, and I am thinking about picking up a pair of them for my EVH cab!!!

EVH 5150 III
Peters dual channel
EVH 2x12 cab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:40 pm 

ezcomes,

Sorry as I am late in on this thread.
I use my Plexi with a 1965 cab and it sounds absolutely great. It has the original Celestion 10s. I play in a small area and don't need a 4x12 to move all that air. The 4x10 sounds amazing and fits the head perfectly size wise.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:49 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Anyone ever try Celestion Classic Lead 80s? I heard some at SlyFi Chapel studio last week and they were quite good.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 2:24 am 

Bad Cat has an amazing speaker custom made by Celestion for a mere $160ish and it is all that and a bag of Blue Alnico! Really, a/bd one next to the $300 + blue and for the minute difference which I preferred( a touch more tight bottom) I will use the $150 for G.A.S. relief...

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 9:54 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

7guitars wrote:
Bad Cat has an amazing speaker custom made by Celestion for a mere $160ish and it is all that and a bag of Blue Alnico! Really, a/bd one next to the $300 + blue and for the minute difference which I preferred( a touch more tight bottom) I will use the $150 for G.A.S. relief...

How does one get a bad cat speaker?

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 7:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
7guitars wrote:

How does one get a bad cat speaker?

http://www.badcatamps.com/celestion-12/

All of our amps except the Classic Deluxe use a custom Bad Cat British made Celestion speaker. The speaker is produced to our specifications and built in England. Our Celestion is on of the secrets to our sound. It has been described as having the sweet highs of the Alnico Blues, but with the tight lows and punch of a ceramic. Our speaker is only available through Bad Cat Amps.

And for my input on speaker choice im still a blackback (old green back) fan. Just picked up a 412 of them with 75hz cones and they sound like I like. Have played tru 4x12's with 75's , evh and Xed v30 and 70th anv. the black's still sound the best to me. Would still like a chance to play tru dabomb if i ever get a chance.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:12 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Anybody tried the WGS Speakers?

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:21 pm 
Friend
Friend

I tried a WGS Black and Blue, It sounded really good to me, very lively. However I don't have a lot of experience with similar speakers (celestian blue)

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 12:30 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I listened to the clips (somewhere on here) comparing loads of speakers with the 18 watt clean and dirty, and with EL84 and 6V6. After all that, I was absolutely convinced I needed a Greenback type speaker. On a whim, I ordered a Private Jack, which I believed to be the Eminence Patriot equivalent.

That speaker sat in the British style 1x12 cab that's been dedicated to this amp from day one. It was OK, but in my mind, there was something always missing. I used to own a Trace Elliot Velocetter 12R that had a Vintage 30. I really wanted to get that sound out of the Trinity 18 - at least out of the two knob channel.

I ordered a Vintage 30 and then spent an entire afternoon doing one A-B comparison after another between the Private Jack, the Vintage 30 and a Celestion Gold. I had the Gold in one side of an Avatar 2x12. I actually moved the speakers between the open back 2x12 and that British style 1x12 to get a feel for open and closed sounds. It took forever!

What made it take even longer was including a Marshall 50th Anniversary 1 watt JCM1 in the comparison (hearing it through a bigger speaker/cab instead of its built in 10").

At the end of the day, there was loads to like about any of those three speakers, especially when playing clean. The Celestion Gold just makes everything clean sound pretty and chimey. But in my mind, that's not what an 18 watt is for. The Private Jack was nice too, but I found it a bit lacking on the clean. Oddly enough, I liked the dirty sound of the Vintage 30 better than the other two. And its clean sound reminded me of that old Velocette. In it went into that dedicated 1x12 cab and that's where it's stayed.

So for me, the Celestion Vintage 30 ended up being the perfect speaker for how I wanted my Trinity sIII v6 to sound - even moreso given what the amp can do with the VRM engaged.

Of course, that Avatar 2x12 sits there barely used with a Celestion Gold on one side and an Eminence Private Jack on the other. Almost makes me want to build a TC12 or Triwatt, LOL.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:33 am 

I love the Golds with my beefed up tweed amp builds, but with the 50W Marshalls I have built I prefer the classic Anniversary G12H. I much prefer it over the Greenback. And I actually really dislike the Heritage G12h - it's ALL midrange. The Anni G12H is crisp, full and clear and loves overdrive. It has a tighter low end than a V30 and a very crisp high end. Not brittle with a Marshall like a Gold can be.

I also recently discovered the G12H Creamback, which is a cool speaker and is rated at 65W which could be handy. I tried the G12M Creamback but it's too midrangey again for me. If you like a V30 you might like it.

To be frank I haven't found an Eminence speaker I have liked.