trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: cascade in Trinity plexi
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:43 pm 

So there are lots of people talking about modding their Ceri@tone TMB's with the cascade mod. Is this different from using a jumper? Is this something one can do with a Trinity plexi? What exactly does the boost switch do? And finally, to get closest to a 12000 series plexi sound in an 18watt, is this the right trinity model to start tweaking with?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:02 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

rivritt wrote:
So there are lots of people talking about modding their Ceri@tone TMB's with the cascade mod. Is this different from using a jumper?

If you are referring to jumping channels, it is very different. Can you post the schematic?

It would seem overkill to do it on a TMB tho as it gots plenty of overdrive. But for an sIII or our Plexi, it makes sense. Check out rgtr's post on the sIII One. He did channel cascading with an optical switch but there are other ways of doing it.

rivritt wrote:
Is this something one can do with a Trinity plexi?

You bet!

rivritt wrote:
What exactly does the boost switch do?

Increases the drive/gain on V2 so it adds more volume & distortion. More like a lead switch. You can footswith it too if you follow a previous post in this.

rivritt wrote:
And finally, to get closest to a 12000 series plexi sound in an 18watt, is this the right trinity model to start tweaking with?

I'd say it's a good start. The Trinity Plexi has all the same coupling caps as the Plexi lead and the normal channel is coupled & bypassed the same as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:10 pm 

Here is you tube vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4VzrEb ... re=related

I think this is his layout:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:40 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Is that correct? Is there a schamatic anywhere? I cant see how that would work? Maybe i'm missing something.

See another version of this at: viewtopic.php?t=701&highlight=sIII

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:51 am 
Friend
Friend

I saw this cascade mod over at 18watt.com and was curious enough to try it out. I tried it on my TMB, and it does work. Though by "work" I mean that it produced sound, and there was no smoke or fire. :wink:

I've only spent a few minutes playing with the modified version, and I can tell you that it will produce some additional gain. I did get some JCM-ish, slightly buzzy tones (with a single coil). Though I definitely got some oscillation (very audible on single notes) and rough sounds at the highest gain settings. Overall, in the few minutes I spent with it, I wasn't thrilled with the sound. Nice feature is that you're basically back to stock with a flip of the switch.

There's a lot of information over at 18watt about this mod where it's known as the "one-wire mod." Search the 18watt forum for "one-wire" and you find explanations, schematics, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:02 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks for the update. Good information.
If it's working as designed, it doesn't sound that useful. Let us know if you find any improvements or if yours is behaving is normally.