All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:51 am 
Friend
Friend

Of the 3 Trinity 18's,

• sIII
• TMB-MV
• 18 v6

Where does the Plexi model come into play? I'd definitely want a MV circuit option. Is that only available in the TMB model? Of the 3 amp models, which is most likely to give me classic rock (AC/DC) tones? I'm not after higher gain, just british crunch n' jangle - I have Gretsch Firebird with Alnico pickups if that helps.

Basically, I'd just like to know what differences there are between these. The reviews below say the TMB model is great for classic rock British tones.

(some amazing review on Harmony Central)

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Trinity+Amps/sIII+18+TMB-MV+Head/10/1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:33 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Every model has TMB. Ant they all have a Gain & Volume. There is no real MV for both TMB & Normal channel.

The Plexi is a little more in your face than the sIII, mostly coupling cap, the PI resistor and the normal channel is the Plexi Lead circuit so it's very "ballsy".

But you can easily try them all with minor mods - the baord is the same for except the v6 which has the 6V6 option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:54 am 
Expert
Expert

Yes, those amps are all slightly different variants of 18W TMB amps. All that separates them are a few resistor and cap values in their preamps. So it's pretty easy to convert one to another if you want, or to produce something in between.

I see you've also been asking about AC/DC tone on AX84. I will just say that the more people you ask the more different answers you will get and the more confusing it will likely become....

Post subject: Hi Coco, Zaphod
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:33 am 
Friend
Friend

Yes, Zaphod, I've been on more than a few different forums. I saw your profile there too.

I'm pretty much set on a Trinity 18 - whether it's a Plexi or an sIII. I think an 18 is the way to go for me, OR, I just cough up the change and look for a used JCM 2000 or a Marhshall Vintage Modern - which I don't want to do.

Remember this clip?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc3-CiPe09I

I use this clip, because it's the closest to the tone I'm looking for. If there's a Trinity 18 that lends itself more to that "warm British tone" well then that's the kit I want. It's got all that spank and growl - but still somewhat clean.

So, the Plexi as you say, is a little more in your face. Is it classic rock ballsy or is it hairier than that? - Thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:39 pm 
Expert
Expert

It's classic rock ballsy. :D

If yu ever want more more hair, Coco is working on a cascaded-preamp version. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:18 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

More Classic rock ballsy. Casade it baby!!