trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sIII vs TMB
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:38 pm 
Friend
Friend

What are the differences between the sIII and the TMB amps?
Which circuit has more gain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:04 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

The sIII is a two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt which incorporates Treble, Midrange, Bass, Volume and Master Volume. The second channel is the Tremolo channel from the original design, without Tremolo. This amp is a medium gain amp and is voiced to do the plexi sound very nicely. The range of tone is from spanky clean to Marshall grind. You can get a great Clapton Bluesbreaker sound and the Hendrix as well. This amp can handle Blues-Rock, Country & Reggae. Think a little JTM45.

The 18 watt TMB is also a two channel version of the Marshall 18 watt which incorporates a Treble, Midrange, Bass, Volume and Master Volume. The second channel is the Normal channel from the original 18 watt design. This amp is a high gain amp that does the 80s sound very nicely. It is intended for musicians who want plenty of grind and distortion. It does ZZTop very nicely. It is both responsive and aggressive. This amp does classic rock crunch to metal 'chugga-chugga' . Think modern Marshall.

Now there is also the sIII Plexi which THUMPS and grinds with a little less compressed tone than the others. The normal Channel provides way more overdrive than most 18 watt normal channels. The TMB channel is capable of some of the best clean sound out of an 18 watter. Crank up the gain and you are in crunch tone heaven. And it has this THUMP that the other variants don't. It's that frequency that moves pant legs! The Plexi sIII is much more like the '69 plexi where you get great cleans low on the volume knob and full bore distortion as you get above 2 or 3.
Sounds very much like a great 50 watt plexi, it has way more girth than most other 18 watters. The clean boost adds another dimension and it nails all those old AC-DC tones dead on and has way more gain on tap if needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:20 pm 
Friend
Friend

Three choices you know how to make it difficult for a guy to decide on what to build!! Do you have a schematic and layout for the sIII PLEXI ? Are there any clips I can listen to? I think in the future I might be interested in buying some parts from you to build either the Plexi or the TMB. I like the 80's music the best.

What brand of pots do you sell with your kits?

Thanks
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:26 am 
Novice
Novice

Coco,
Did you forget the sIII V6? It adds some Blackface/Tweed smoothness to the sIII palette.
I stay on the 6v6's most of the time when I play single coils. The El-84's do good by humbuckers.

LeeMo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:28 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Kit details here. viewtopic.php?t=950

As leemo mentioned, there is the v6 which adds adds switchable output tubes (6V6 <->EL84) and boost to the sIII or TMB. The sound is close to a Fender Deluxe and an 18 watt grafted together. One is creamy and one is crunchy.

As for clips of the Plexi, not yet. There were some but the poster wanted to redo them. lbet sIII has been modded to the Plexi so I expect to see some new clips soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:24 pm 
Friend
Friend

Is this what it takes to convert an sIII to the sIII Plexi

Quote:
It's an 18 watt TMB head with plexi mods, this is what was done:

OK, here it is: *all coupling caps changed to .02uf from .01; normal channel cathode bypass changed to 220 uf (plexi is actually 330 i think) *from .68uf and coupling cap change to .02uf; added a 500pf bright cap to the normal channel.

Is there a layout or schematic for the sIII Plexi ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:24 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

straycat wrote:
Is this what it takes to convert an sIII to the sIII Plexi

*all coupling caps changed to .02uf from .01uf; normal channel cathode bypass changed to 220uf from 47uf and coupling cap change to .02uf; added a 500pf bright cap to the normal channel.

Yes, that's what I did to the sIII to make it sound like a Plexi

straycat wrote:
Is there a layout or schem.atic for the sIII Plexi ?

There is no sIII Plexi layout yet, but I'll be doing one up shortly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:47 pm 
Friend
Friend

Thanks for the info coco. Going to do the sIII Plexi . Have to sell a guitar before I can start ordering parts from you. Looking forward to seeing the Plexi layout.

Thanks
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:52 pm 
Friend
Friend

Is it possible to mod the TMB channel of my sIII to the Plexi specs without changing the normal channel? Do I just swap the coupling caps to the .01uf and be done with it? Or do the cap changes in the normal channel somehow affect what's going on with the TMB channel?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:41 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I think there is a slope resistor change in there too?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:05 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

lbethune wrote:
I think there is a slope resistor change in there too?

No resistor changes but there is 470K resistor in the Normal channel that stays in the normal channel.

Post subject: Re: sIII vs TMB
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:02 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

SPAM!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:31 am 

Hi there!

Can I change a tmb ( Ceri@tone layout made from scratch ) into a sIII?

Lots of changes or it’s easy?

I have that oscillation problem with volumes at full...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:53 pm 

These amplifiers' schematics are actually rather similar. The position of the phase inverter is the primary distinction. It has been moved in the sIII to a more sensible location1v1 lol unblocked

Otherwise, you can truly switch between circuits by swapping out a small number of components.

Most people concur that they prefer the combative sound of the regular channel (which borrows its tone stack from the trem channel of the original amp, but has more gain).

Although the sIII's TMB channel has a somewhat lower gain than the TMB, it is still easily adjustable for much more. The tweakers' table on the schematic and layout contains all the information.