trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:56 pm 

Hey All,
First post, so pardon yet another newbie....looks like I will be embarking on a build adventure myself. Just ordered a 18W Plexi head kit from Stephen. Can't wait to get started on it. In the meantime, I am starting to think about the speakers and cabinets that will go with the head. I thought I would poll all the experts to see what they are using with their 18W heads.

So, sound off...what are you all driving with your Trinity 18 heads? 2 x 10's? 2 x 12's? 4 x 12's? And what speakers?
Thanks!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:02 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

IMO, the ultimate is a Tone Tubby Bomb. A 212 Open Back with one 12" Alnico and one 12" Ceramic. It provides the tightest, natural sound I have heard from a cab. The Alnico is smooth and compresses and the Ceramic adds a bit of bite. Very well controlled break-up; no flub and fantastic bottom end.
Not the cheapest rig, but you will never sell it so it will last a lifetime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:36 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Coco is right about the tone tubby alnico ceramic mix. Very nice tone in a 2x12. I also use some celestion speaker types sometimes. I like the g12h30 anniversary. They are loud and a bit on the bright side until you have pounded them for a few months but they have a nice round bottom end. I like the Scumback flavour of G12H30's a lot for the celestion tone.

I have used a vintage 30 in a Bognor front ported 1x12 and it sounds quite good too. Lots of midrange and bottom and it records very well. I also like the g12-65. It is a little bit scooped sounding but it is a bit like a greenback with tighter bass. And of course you can use green backs. They are not quite as loud as the G12h30's but have this crunchy tone that just sounds like rock and roll. Some people prefer their bass response in a closed cab.

For me, i use mostly open back 2x12's. One of them has the tone tubby bomb in it and the other has a pair of scumback g12h30's.

Hope this helps.

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:55 pm 

Thanks for the feedback Gents. Excellent responses and just what I was looking for. Regards....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:59 pm 
Expert
Expert

+1 for the bomb, I have it in my combo and the above descriptions are spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Legin wrote:
+1 for the bomb, I have it in my combo and the above descriptions are spot on.

You must be the only one in Australia with a Bomb! Right On!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:45 pm 
Friend
Friend

is anyone using an openback vintage cab from avatarspeakers? i know a guy that has one that's unloaded that he's willing to sell for pretty cheap. i had a 2x12 traditional cab from avatar and loved it. it was loaded with 2 v30s. i'm just wondering how well that cab will work for this style of amp. i had previously thought that closed back was the way to go.

If you need to find me, just go to the end of the longest line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:08 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I have an 2x12 open back bluesbreaker style in mahogany and maple and I bought an Avatar vintage 2x12 open back for my nephew, both loaded with G12H30 and V30 combination.

The Avatar is taller, wider and deeper the the Trinity. They sound very similar but there are differences. The Avatar has more low end which I was expecting, and sounds "airier" than the Trinity, almost like it had some natural reverb, which is exactly the oposite of what I was expecting.

They both sound very good to me and the head cab looks great on the Avatar.