trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 18 watt Plexi review
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:11 am 
Friend
Friend

Took the Plexi out for it's maiden voyage today. Our lead guitarist has a handwired 50 watt and the other new guitarist has a Bogner Shiva. I play only sparingly as I'm learning, so I mainly play rhythm if at all. We did some comparisons and they sound almost identical. We will be doing some side by sides soon. I jumpered both hi gain channels and was easily doing AC/DC and we also did some Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and some ZZ Top. Everyone was very impressed. I was very proud :) Sounded very good on it's own w/o an OD pedal too. I have a custom made OD pedal that I used a few times and it really gets into JCM 800 terittory and beyond if needed. I did make one change to the layout, I wired the TMB's master volume instead of using the "gain" as in the original. Other than that it it stock. I will post clips soon in the appropriate section.

Thanks for all of the help. I hope to do another one again soon for someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:06 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Quote:
did make one change to the layout, I wired the TMB's master volume instead of using the "gain" as in the original

Great to hear it stood up well! Clips are always good! Can you tell us more about the change?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

On the change...I used a 1 meg pot on the master volume and then wired the TMB version volume control using it's resistors/values instead of the Plexis on the channel volume where the Plexi has it wired as a gain control. I wanted it to be as close to my buddies 50 watt with PPIMV and I think the results were spot on. Even the guitarist with the Bogner said he liked it better than his tone. The Bogner is a sweet amp, but voiced different and to get that classic tone, the 18 is right on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:52 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

So, basically then, it's almost a TMB 'classic' on that channel. A litle more gain maybe? Did you change the cathode resistor or bypass cap on V2? or was that it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:34 am 
Friend
Friend

The only resistors I changed was to remove the one 100K resistor where GAIN would have been on the Plexi and then added the 470K on V2 pin 2 like the TMB has.