trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:38 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

This is an excerpt from an email I sent to Stephen earlier today. I did extensive play testing this afternoon with my new TC-15 and also Stephen's prototype Trinity 18. The TC-15 impressions are posted over in that forum...

Holy crap Stephen! Well, I just had the most fun I've had in about 2 weeks! My head is spinning, and I'm not sure I can type fast enough to get all my thoughts down, but I'll do my best. I played both amps at length on both channels - I'm TOTALLY blown away!

Trinity 18 - glad to have the opportunity to hear this baby in my studio. I have a TOTALLY different impression of it compared to the listen I had at your place. Bottom line? SOLD. Get that purple tolex ready!!! Or maybe I should go with the blond motif??!? ;) Anyway, impressions.

Ch.1 is BRILLIANT (as in amazing, not trebly!) - the "Tone"knob is incredible, almost like an EQ and "cut" knob in one. WOW! I could have spent the entire day on this channel with one guitar just dialing in the subtle shades. Unbelievable. I hear the "retro" Marshall thing in this channel - the tones from this side sound "old".

Ch.2 is surprisingly "modern" - this is a good thing for me. Just means I can get a lot more accomplished with one amp - and that's saying a lot coming from me because the reason I have 20+ amps is because I've always believed that any one amp has a sweet spot and should just be left and used there. if you want another tone, buy another amp!! So, it's remarkable that the versatility of your amps is a feature for me!! ;) Anyway, Ch.2 - a little more "clear" sounding, and it's nice to have TMB for more control.

OK, so great sounding amp with a couple of different flavours - what's the nitty gritty??? Well, let's talk Marshall and Rockytop for a second. I have two Marshalls - a JCM800 and a JCM900 - definitely of the modern variety, and without getting into a debate about "diode clipping" and "vintage Marshall vs. modern Marshall", let's just all agree that both the 800 and 900 sound like "Marshall". Enter the Rockytop Plexi, well former Rockytop Plexi. Cool amp, looks like a Marshall, built like a Marshall. but frankly, didn't sound like a Marshall. Don't get me wrong, it sounded really cool, and even Marshall-y (Marshall-esque???), but side-by-side with the 800 and 900, two of the amps had "mojo" and one didn't. Frankly, this is why I sold it - despite the fact that it was a really good-sounding, usable amp, I thought I was buying more or less a "Plexi". No dice.

So, the short version of this diatribe is "how does Stephen's amp stand up next to the genuine article?"
Stephen, you NAILED it. This IS a Marshall. I A-B'd with my JCM 800 and I was able to dial in more or less identical sounding tones (keeping in mind the different output tubes of course!) using Ch.2. WOW! WOWEE WOW WOW!!

The difference for me is basically this - the JCM has that "big amp" sound. Call it headroom if you like, but the JCM is just a "bigger" slightly more "spacious" tone. I attribute this to the difference between a 50W amp and an 18W amp/EL34 vs. EL84. But surprisingly, there wasn't a huge difference in volume between the two amps - at least not the difference I anticipated. For sure the JCM is louder, but not by THAT much. But, and this is a big "BUT" (big butt - get it?? Ha ha), the JCM's gain is not usable through its entire range. The Trinity 18 on the other hand, is usable through its entire range. Let me say that again - THE TRINITY 18 HAS NO UNUSABLE GAIN!!!! YIKES! WOW! I've never experienced this in any other amp (even the TC-15 which I think is about 95% usable!). and just to clarify - on both channels. This is INCREDIBLE Stephen. Were the original 18 Watters like that too?

Every amp in my room has an ugly spot on the gain dial - especially with humbuckers - except this one! Particularly the amps that are as versatile as this one - I mean my BF Bassman head comes close to being usable through its entire range, but it only does one (really great) thing, and I've even been able to coax ugliness out of it at extreme settings!! No surprise here, but this amp LOVES the Les Paul. Where the TC-15 is worth buying to use with a Strat alone, this amp is worth buying and devoting to Les Paul playing DESPITE the fact that they both sound fantastic with a number of guitars.

Oh, almost forgot, EL84 and 6V6 - WHOOAAA! This is an AWESOME feature. Spent most of my time with the EL84's and this was cool - sort of that "prickly, tight" thing I've come to know and love, but man the 6V6's are CRAZY in this amp. I can't imagine why anyone would want to have this amp without that capability. The 6V6's just have this low-mid "growl" or "roar" to them that the EL's just don't. Kind of "garage-y". I LOVED it. I think for my work, I'd probably live in 6V6 mode for the most part, although there's plenty of places for both.

I want one. I need to raise the dough, but I want one. And that JTM is sold too. I don't even need to hear it - if it resembles even a smidge of this but with that "big amp" thing, it'll be CRAZY. I mean, I WANT to hear it, but I don't NEED to... but I still WANT to. ;)

Still lots of testing to do with both since I only used the one cab and only one of my strats and one of my LP's, but today was really fun.
Incredible amps Stephen. I'm glad to have made your acquaintance. :)

More to come - talk soon.

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:25 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Thanks Brent. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:29 am 
Expert
Expert

Is this NEW :?: :?: :?: :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

For Brent, yes, but not for us!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:47 am 
Experienced
Experienced

Sorry guys - late to the party... just wanted to share my enthusiasm for Stephen's amps... :oops:

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Another email excerpt... did some more play testing with Stephen's Trinity 18 today. Had the opportunity to play it through all my cabs. For the veterans of this forum that have had the chance to play through a bunch of speaker types, leave now! But for those curious how the amp sounds through different cabs/speakers, read on!!

The artist I’m working with was late today, so I had a chance to spend some more time doing some testing. Today was speaker/cab day! I set up a tone on Ch.1 – sort of a med gain thing, not too loud (vol 3, tone 1.5) and played my Les Paul Vintage Mahogany (Burstbucker Pro pickups – classic LP sound) on the bridge pickup into the Lo input…

The clear overall winner today was my Marshall 1960 cab with G12T-75’s. This tone was yummy top to bottom, crunchy, tight, focused, and even – classic Marshall tone with both the EL’s and the 6V6’s. I think it likes the EL’s a teeny bit more (a bit more tonally even top to bottom – the 6V6’s were verging on bright (easily compensated for if I’d moved the tone knob), but GREAT with both tube types… this tone is why people LOVE Marshalls…

Runner-up… probably the V-30s. For whatever reason, I seem to like your amps A LOT with V30’s!! Anyway, both the Orange 2x12 and the Mesa Recto 4x12 were cool – the Orange was cooler with 6V6’s than with the EL’s (good but a teeny bit dark and “middy”), but the Mesa opened up a bit more, still had a dark smooth top and big bottom but the mids were less congested. Both tube types were great with the Mesa…

The others…
Marshall 4x10 with G10’s - This one probably takes 3rd place for me. Similar to the 1960 cab with 75’s, but obviously less bottom overall due to 10’s instead of 12’s, and maybe a bit less open, but more focused sounding. Anyway, with EL’s it was cool, although there was a bit of buildup in the low mids. Again easily dialed out, but I wanted to hear all the cabs with the identical setting on the amp. Switching to 6V6’s totally solved the problem – it got leaner in the mids, tighter in the bottom and crunchier in the top. This tone was AWESOME. Overall, the cab is probably in 3rd place, but this tone was challenging for #1!!

Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks – this is one of my favourite cabs to use with my JCMs so I was curious how it would fare with the Trinity 18. It was good – I liked it a little better with the EL’s, good crunchy top, very soft and smooth in the low-mids and bottom end. This isn’t a tone I would use all the time, but it the right context it would be amazing. With the 6V6’s the top got a teeny bit strident, but the mids and bottom got a little leaner and meaner which was cool. If I was dialing it in to record, I just would have taken some top off the amp and been good to go. In any case, liked this cab, but didn’t LOVE it… There seems to be a little more chemistry between the JCMs and this cab than the 18…

My little 1x12 with the Classic Lead 80 – it’s a bit difficult to shootout a 1x12 vs. a 4x12, but I will say this – despite the fact that this didn’t wow me like the 4x12’s did due to one speaker instead of four, this speaker sounded GREAT. With both tube types it was balanced, crunchy, and rock and rolll. While in a 1x12 configuration this wouldn’t be my “goto” cab, I was left thinking I’d like to buy an empty 4x12 and put four Classic Lead 80’s in there! I think it would be an AWESOME match with the Trinity 18… How awesome? Probably in the top two or three I’m guessing…

70’s Hiwatt 4x12 with Fanes – meh… weird ‘cause as I’ve said before this is my favourite cab in the room 99% of the time. For whatever reason, the voicing of your amps and this cab just don’t work that well for me. Now, whereas with the TC-15 I would probably never choose to use this cab, with the Trinity 18 it was cool in a quirky way – it was REALLY dark, like almost no top end, but if you were looking for a kind of lo-fi indie Marshall thing it would probably be cool. With 6V6’s there was a teeny bit of top end, but with both tube types this cab had an interesting mid “glow”. Cool, but certainly not an everyday flavor…

60’s Fender 2x12 with Oxfords – this was an interesting cab. Hated it with EL’s – distant, dark, muddy, bleh… but with the 6V6’s I quite liked it – had a similar quality to Greenbacks with 6V6’s but slightly more “vintage” sounding…

Anyway, one interesting observation overall – with the TC-15, there are certain cabs I would not use. Just no chemistry between the TC and those cabs. But the ones that worked, were AMAZING. With the Trinity 18, no cab was bad. I would probably use them all at some point depending on what I was doing. Perhaps this is one reason why the 18 is your most popular amp – it ALWAYS works no matter what it’s plugged into…

So when my artist finally arrived, we needed to track 3 electric parts… I decided it was going to be Trinity day! So, I got the 18 (through the Marshall 1960 cab) and the TC (through the Mesa cab) cooking! Stephen, the TC-15 is INCREDIBLE man – we did a Strat semi-clean tone and an effecty Strat thing using an EHX Memory Man delay and a Boss Flanger pedal. I was overwhelmed with the clarity of these guitar tracks, they were SO detailed, and forward and BIG. Man, do I ever LOVE that amp. :D Next we did a Danelectro/Trinity 18 track, a little crunchier to make the chorus of the tune bigger. I wasn’t sure I’d like the Dano, but it was great. This tone filled in the mids/low-mids of the chorus PERFECTLY. The TC and the 18 are a great 1-2 punch. In the same way with Mesa, the Recto and Stiletto are supposed to fill different parts of the spectrum (and I can confirm that they do since I own both), the TC and 18 are very complimentary to each other frequency-wise. They’re a nice combination for double up parts when recording… On the other tune we needed a clean jazzy tone, so we used my Epiphone Sheraton hollow body through the TC-15. Gorgeous, and I didn’t even need to touch the EQ! Just turned the gain down a bit, and dialed in a bit more cut. With the bridge pickup it was perfect amount of low end fat with high end presence. I can’t believe how versatile this amp is Stephen!! Oh and BTW, the TC stayed on Ch. 2, “munch” with the “hi” switch in. The 18 was in Ch.1 with more gain and different tone setting from my cab test. And I used the EL’s – tried the 6V6’s but they sounded a bit strident with the Dano…

Hope someone finds this interesting reading!!

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:43 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

It's very cool to get a review of an amp and all the speakers. What's interesting is how it performs with them and you may discover some gems you forgot about. Like the 412 Marshall Monster with G12-75s in the corner over there!

Interesting that the Greenback was not the clear winner. So many people want to put that speaker into an 18 watt amp. What's up with that?

I'd like to hear what 112 are best - if a person can only afford one speaker, what would it be?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:34 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well, we'll let everyone else decide! When I do clips I'll only have the mic on one speaker... obviously the other speakers will influence the tone, but the essence will be coming from one... to be continued... :D

The Greenback thing IS weird. To be honest, I had to try it with my Marshalls again to see if I like it still (I do!!). I was starting to wonder if all this time it actually never really was that good! :wink: But, no, it is great with other amps, just not my fave with the Trinitys... totally unexpeccted, but hey, it gives me a reason to fire up the old 1960 cab with 75's in it more often so it can't be all that bad!!!

Clips to come, and then we can all argue about it!!! :lol:

www.slyfichapel.com