trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: sIII and VRM Update
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 pm 
Friend
Friend

Just a quick update on my sIII and VRM. Everything is working fine I’ve been really playing it allot and it is nothing short of phenomenal. I worked on the boost and ended up with a 3.3k resistor and a 47 mf cap. The boost can be pretty picky as far a the V2 tube lately I’ve been running a good Amperx ECC83 in that position and it’s been stable even when maxed out. I really don’t use the boost allot but do like it when I need a little more grind at lower volumes. I also have been using a 5751 in the PI position it gives me a little less crunch but more of a bluesy drive which suits my playing style.

My Strats just shimmer through the TMB channel while the regular channel seems a bit creamier. Jumpered they give the best of both channels with a little treble boost to let the top end stand out. My Tele can go from country to snarling pinging blues wailing on either channel add some echo to kick in the rockabilly. My Tele with hum buckers cops a great 70s southern rock sound especially with a bottle and E tuning. After playing around with this for the last month or so it is definitely not a one trick pony, losing my Fender roots after 30 some years.

I am amazed at how low you can drop the volume and still get a great sound. The VRM seems to maintain the integrity of the circuit even at lower voltages. I does start to lose some high end around the halfway mark which is easily compensated for, other than that it can sound drop dead gorgeous even at levels my wife will accept. I do have some noise on my pots and will probably do the mod the next time I take the amp apart but it really doesn’t bother me for my style of playing. This is a great sounding amp with a few adjustments I find I can play just about anything on it. Really makes me wish I was still playing in a band so I could take it out and let it roar. Great little amp and thanks to everyone for the information and help. JGK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:20 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Nice to hear about your success. Really glad youi got the tube balance worked out and the VRM is doing it's job well. Thanks for the update.
Sounds like you're ready to post some clips! :wink: