trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:54 am 
Friend
Friend

Hey guys, just a newbie here with a question about choosing a Trinity to get close to this tone - if it's possible with any mods:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroPQqp9F4I

I sent the above clip to Zaphod, and he suggested that I post it here - to see if someone can steer me in the right direction.

Please keep in mind, I know this is a completely different animal than any of the Trintiy amps. This is a 100 watt Wizard Modern Classic. But, there's something amazing about the "tightness" of the string articulation, chords etc. Compare this sound to the clip below, from the Trinity site:
http://www.trinityamps.com/clips/triwat ... 1b2n29.mp3

Both clips are using a Gretsch, and have some similar tones, (I'll assume because of the Gretsch. But, the TRIWATT - as far as my ears hear it, doesn't have the same punch, or tightness as the sound in the Wizard clip. To my ears, the Wizard's tone is very tight, and has a TON of honk and growl, immediate bark and bite - sounds very Marshall, whereas the TRIWATT sounds a little more saggy, or looser, there's a softer drive to it.

Is it possible to get that similar and immediate bite out of TRIWATT, or an 18 watt Plexi Trinity? Or am I being ridiculous to think that you can get this sound from anything less than a 50 or 100 watt?

From your experience(s), what would get me closer to the Wizard's tightness and bite. Much thanks guys.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 am 
Expert
Expert

Maltone wrote:
I sent the above clip to Zaphod, and he suggested that I post it here - to see if someone can steer me in the right direction.

I don't recall saying that. :shock: However, IMO it's good idea to get a range of viewpoints and opinions. :) What I actually said was,
zaphod wrote:
In that clip they're running the 100W Wizard head down at around 2 to 3, according to one voice in the clip - ie very clean. Then they''re getting the breakup from some kind of pedal. I have to say I've never heard any kind of pedal produce that kind of tone. However, you can get that AC/DC edgy distortion very naturally from an 18W amp, without needing any pedals, just by overdriving the pair of EL84s in the power stage. EL84s have a somewhat bright edginess compared to most other power tubes, and some fantastic definition, which really shines through even when the amp is distorting. Perfect for Angus/Malcolm Young tones. The reason I mentioned the TC-15 is because you posted the link to a clip with a very Voxy amp sound, and you also said you wanted the amp to have an EF86 channel like some 65 Amps models. You can get very close to the tone of a Londoner or Soho by taking a TC-15 and changing a few of the resistor and cap values to those of an 18W.
So I basically I was saying that you'll have no problem getting AC/DC tones from an 18W, or a TC-15 with the PI and power stage modded to 18W specs.

However, you won't get a tighter, punchier, faster responding amp than the Triwatt, or maybe even a real Hiwatt, which are indeed very different to any of the other Trinity amps. Also FYI Marshalls are well known for being saggier and looser than Hiwatt/Triwatt type amps. Just that in the Triwatt's Gretch clips here, it's using the 6V6 option (instead of the KT66s) and pushing the power tubes pretty hard, whereas in the youtube clip you posted it's a 100W running with the MV set fairly low, and some pedals in front. So it's not really a valid comparison. Also Larry was aiming for a different tone in those clisp, rather than AC/DC, or he would have made it sound that way. The Triwatt has some great edgy grinding distortion with lots of bite, but since AC/DC use Marshall Plexis, I would be more inclined to stick with a Marshall 18W style amp. At the end of the day, I think this shows that there's more than one way to get the kind of tones you're looking for.

Last edited by zaphod on Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:41 am 
Novice
Novice

The 4-12 cab is a big part of that sound. The Triwatt would sound tighter, bigger with a big, closed back cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:10 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Personally I don't think you can get big punch from el84s. YMMV.
No prob for the Triwatt imho.
+1 for the above on speaker cab.
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:54 pm 
Expert
Expert

Well, I just finished my Triwatt last night & haven't had a lot of time to really play with it yet. However, I can tell you from some time I spent with it last night that it can get rather AC/DC-ish if you want. With the link input & channel volumes dimed & master well up there it's crunchy as hell, but much tighter than the Marshalls I've tried - even than my 2204 with its solid state rectifier. Mixing the channels to taste will get you what you need. And that's without using the overdrive. And the tone network actually does change the overall tone (unlike most Brit designs) so shaping is possible - from hollow & boxy to in-your-face & brash.

ANd this was just playing in my den through a 1x12. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:37 pm 
Friend
Friend

Sorry Zaphod, I didn't mean to mis-paraphrase what you said. With the TC-15 comments you made - you're absolutely right, there's a cleanliness and articulation - that in some ways is AC/DC-esque. I hate splitting hairs, posting over and over. It would just suck to make the investment in a kit build, only to find after the amp has broken in, that it's too saggy, or has that loose kind of overdrive - I'm not after bluesy, I'm after edgy bark, bite - all dog terms! It really is a tighter over-driven Gretsch sound.

The Soho, sometimes has those ac/dc types of tones too, — bright, and jangly on the top end, and all bridge pickup sounds - which is really nice, but it's missing that tight bark and punch- that the Wizard has. Is that attributed to the EL34's?

You can't make one of these amps a 50/100 Wizard, I understand that. Maybe I'm not clear enough about what kinds of AC/DC tones. Malcolm and Angus have very different tones, and it depends on what era we're talking about. To me, there's something amazing about that you tube clip with the Wizard. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jroPQqp9F4I The guy is playing straight plugged into the amp, with NO pedals in the signal. He was just trying to illustrate the basic tone at around 2.5-3 on volume, gain at about the same, and to me, it was killer as is, without any pedals needed. To me, the tone is reminiscent of the intro chords to "If you want blood" from the Highway to Hell album - and for me that's THE TONE.

I'd just like to get that on an 18 Plexi or TRIWATT if possible, without having to crank it up to 10, so it can break up earlier. Where does that tightness, spank, and instant "BOWMP" (like cow) sound come from when he hits those chords? - Aside from playing with 11's and punching the chord sharply with his picking hand, what amp would get you closest to that tighter sound, with honky "BOWNP" tone? Again, much thanks for your sharing and knowledge guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:32 pm 
Friend
Friend

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php ... &sk=t&sd=a

Nothing very wizardy looking in that photo. People really pay $4700 for these things?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:06 am 
Friend
Friend

I concur. I read that thread a few days ago, and considered registering just to find out more. Yeap, the price for those amps is retarded. I'd never be able to afford one, and I couldn't justify one for my limited ability anyway. But, they do have a cool sound just plugged in straight with a Gretsch - hence the "Malcolm" tone.

I don't revere this amp, I just like the spank and tightness it has, the growl, without it sounding boxy or overly saturated. I've heard people say oh it's a Plexi sound, - this plexi, or that Marshall, and when I've heard them, I think, nope, that's not the sound at all. It's either got too much gain, or the harmonics aren't even, and they sound more like perfect octaves on top of the root note of a chord played, - but like machinery, too hard, and no jangle, not enough dynamics.

Most people will agree, that Angus' sound with the JTM-45 is bluesier, looser, in their rhythm section, where as Malcolm's chords definitely have more bark, growl - a lot of that is his Gretsch and playing style I'm sure. I dunno, I just want an amp that does clean, and that classic AC/DC Gretsch jangle, it's cleaner overdrive - if any at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:56 am 
Experienced
Experienced

I serioulsy think you better just try out the TC15, the 18W and the Triwatt.

Pack a guitra in the car, drive to Toronto and test them out. Then make your mind based on what YOUR ears hear.

All I can say is that the three amps are all very different, in tone, in terms of attitude (hard to describe) and rather than relying on someone else's description you will only be sure if YOU hear the tone that you are chasing in your head.

Or you can do what I did, make the decision to buy all of them. Thats works too :)

AJC

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:50 am 
Friend
Friend

Yep Ajholic, I think that's exactly the thing to do. I'd have to go to Toronto to pick up a kit anyway - might as well see and hear what Stephen has on the floor while I'm there - and that way I can bring my friend's Gretsch to hear it in a real context.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:42 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Maltone wrote:
Yep Ajholic, I think that's exactly the thing to do. I'd have to go to Toronto to pick up a kit anyway - might as well see and hear what Stephen has on the floor while I'm there - and that way I can bring my friend's Gretsch to hear it in a real context.

I was there once while a father and son were demo-ing some amps in the "trinity labs"...

I still think you will end up with a TC15 but maybe I am wrong.

I am actually going to Ottawa for a few days in late May, and I could throw my head into the car - but I cant bring a cab, not enough room. If you want to test drive an 18 sIII or TC15, or the Triwatt I could try and fit meeting up into my schedule. My wife and I are going down for the big run (we are doing the 1/2 marathon).

AJC

Post subject: RE: ajcoholic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:01 am 
Friend
Friend

Aj, that's a very nice gesture, and I really would love to take you up on it. I could get a cabinet from a friend. My only question is, you'd leave it with me?
And obviously, if you needed a cash deposit, I'd be more than happy to do that - just so you know it won't be abused or stolen.

I really liked that 65 amps, 18 watter from you tube - it got really close to some of the AC/DC esque classic rock tones I love, much jangle, and great clarity.

If you think the TC-15 is the way to go, sure, I'd love to "borrow" it for a day or 2 - depending on how long you'll be down for the run.

Again, much thanks, I'm not used to people making such an offer. - Mike.

Post subject: Re: RE: ajcoholic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:23 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Maltone wrote:
Aj, that's a very nice gesture, and I really would love to take you up on it. I could get a cabinet from a friend. My only question is, you'd leave it with me?
And obviously, if you needed a cash deposit, I'd be more than happy to do that - just so you know it won't be abused or stolen.

I really liked that 65 amps, 18 watter from you tube - it got really close to some of the AC/DC esque classic rock tones I love, much jangle, and great clarity.

If you think the TC-15 is the way to go, sure, I'd love to "borrow" it for a day or 2 - depending on how long you'll be down for the run.

Again, much thanks, I'm not used to people making such an offer. - Mike.

Well, I am going to be there for at least 3 days. If you pm me where exactly in the city you are, I can tell my wife (she knows her way around Ottawa & I dont) and we can see.

If I know where your house is, I can always come back with the police if you dont want to give it back to me :)

AJC

Post subject: Re: RE: ajcoholic
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:01 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
If I know where your house is, I can always come back with the police if you dont want to give it back to me :)

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:48 pm 
Expert
Expert

We have such great people on this forum.
Always nice to help, so noble!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:24 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Very Nice Offer Indeed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:46 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

coco wrote:
Very Nice Offer Indeed!!

But if he ends up buying an amp I get a cut - you know, the standard "salesman" percentage of %40 ?? Right??? ;)

AJC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:04 pm 
Expert
Expert

ajcoholic wrote:
But if he ends up buying an amp I get a cut - you know, the standard "salesman" percentage of %40 ?? Right??? ;)

AJC

HA! If we start that I want a cut on the two I've built for Fortis! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:11 pm 
Expert
Expert

then we're down to getting 5% a cut. Better then nothing :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:50 am 
Friend
Friend

Of the 3 Trinity 18's,

• sIII
• TMB-MV
• 18 v6

Where does the Plexi model come into play? I'd definitely want a MV circuit option. Is that only available in the TMB model? Of the 3 amp models, which is most likely to give me classic rock (AC/DC) tones? I'm not after higher gain, just british crunch n' jangle - I have Gretsch Firebird with Alnico pickups if that helps.

Basically, I'd just like to know what differences there are between these. The reviews below say the TMB model is great for classic rock British tones.

(some amazing review on Harmony Central)

[url]http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/product/Trinity+Amps/sIII+18+TMB-MV+Head/10/1

[/url]