trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6V6 TMB is alive...
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:01 pm 
Friend
Friend

It lives... The build went good. Everything works. Idles quiet. TMB & normal channels sound great. The only thing that concerns me is the whole chassis is microphonic. If you tap the chassis or turret board, you hear it thru the speaker. What did I miss? This can be heard with or without a guitar plugged in. I have not swapped tubes around yet. Is there a simple fix for this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 9:17 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Congrats on the build. Microphnics? - It's 99.9% a tube, not the amp! Swap one at a time. Start with V1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:14 am 
Friend
Friend

I was thinking a tube also. I haven't had a chance to swap tubes around tonight, but the amp sounds too good to be anything else. I didn't notice the microphonics until I moved the chassis. I flipped it around on the bench while it was plugged in and on, and noticed the bang when I set it down. Then proceeded to do the chopstick tap test. Congrats to Trinity for making a product that can be modified right out of the box ( 6V6's were swapped for the EL84's & a 5U4GB was swapped for theEZ84 rec.) I used a take off transformer set from a Deluxe Reverb. I used the D.R. choke instead of the 5w 1k5 resistor on the filter cap. And after all this it fired right up and idled as quiet as a church mouse. I can't even hear any hum or hiss untill I dime the gain. Thanks to Stoo & Zaphoid for guidance and resistor swap suggestions during the build. I'm hooked now... I want to do another one... Any suggestions for the ultimate 6 - 8 watt harp amp? Thanks again to all that have allowed the tone in my head, to become a reality. This amp doesn't sound like anything else that I've ever heard. I hope that I can throw a cabinet together before jam night, next week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:58 pm 
Friend
Friend

It had to be a tube. Fired it up this morning, it was the same. Swapped out preamp tubes, powered up, problem gone. I can tap the board, no sound. I can tap the chassis, no sound. Perfect. So I played the snot out of it for 1/2 hour, thru a Celestion V30... First impressions... TMB channel, Wow, very crunchy. Normal channel, crunchier than expected. Channels jumpered, Holy Mother of Overdrive... I can't believe it! :shock: Mesa territory gain without the fizziness. Sustain for days. Notes blossom into controlled feedback on demand. I'm delighted. Thank you Stephen. Your product has exceeded my expectations. For a first time kit build, it couldn't have turned out better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:30 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Way to Go!! Congrats!! :jawdrop:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:11 pm 
Friend
Friend

Here's a link to some pictures as things progressed. Enjoy.

http://s656.photobucket.com/albums/uu28 ... of%20Tone/

Dave