trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:44 pm 
Friend
Friend

I just powered down my amp for a quick tube swap and I noticed the preamp tubes were as hot as the power tubes, loosely speaking. Is this normal. Usually I find the preamp tubes to warm, not hot. Never uncortable to touch. Can anyone shed some light on this?

peerless

www.peerlesstone.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:24 am 
Friend
Friend

Generally speaking the preamp tubes do not get as hot as the power tubes. You can get away with pulling a warm preamp tube out bare handed after a shutdown, but try that with a power tube and you will most likely sear your fingerprints to the tube, and swear a bit. When power tubes are run "hot" or too high voltage is applied, they tend to have their plates glowing red hot and in worst cases melt from the inside out!! even at propper votages they are super hot to touch,preamp tubes arent run with that much voltage, so most of the heat you feel is the heaters in the tube..
Thats my 2 cents......another $1.63 and you can get yourself a x large at Timmies!!
Cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:06 am 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

Yes, agree with Chris on this one. Almost too hot to touch

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:21 am 
Expert
Expert

peerless wrote:
I just powered down my amp for a quick tube swap and I noticed the preamp tubes were as hot as the power tubes, loosely speaking. Is this normal. Usually I find the preamp tubes to warm, not hot. Never uncortable to touch. Can anyone shed some light on this?

That's not normal. Could they be picking up heat radiated from the power tubes?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:58 am 

A preamplifier's tubes won't heat up nearly as much as the power tubes will. After powering down, you can safely remove a preamp tube with bare hands, but if you do the same with a power tube, you'll probably end up swearing and searing your fingerprints to the tube. Plates of power tubes can get so hot that they literally melt from the inside out if they are run "hot" or subjected to excessive voltage.

coreball

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:29 am 

That is not typical. Could they be absorbing heat emitted by the power tubes? https://trinityamps.com/phpbb/posting.php?mode=reply&f=7&t=1685/color by number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 11:19 pm 

sylesratha wrote:
That is not typical. Could they be absorbing heat emitted by the power tubes? https://trinityamps.com/phpbb/posting.p ... =7&t=1685/geometry dash subzero

I also don't know the solution for this problem.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:47 pm 

It is normal for preamp tubes to be warm, and in some cases, they may feel contexto hot, but they should not be uncomfortably hot to touch.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:05 am 

Preamp tubes running as hot as power tubes during a tube swap is unusual. While preamp tubes can run warm, they shouldn't become uncomfortably hot. Factors like circuit design and biasing can affect tube temperature. Consult an expert or online audio communities for specific guidance. https://sassasrdstatuscheck.net.za/, although not directly related to tube temperatures, SRDs are crucial in monitoring and regulating critical systems like power grids and transportation infrastructure, ensuring optimal performance and safety. Their automatic adjustment capabilities contribute to efficiency and reliability in various industries.