trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I just finshed me Triwatt, so I am pretty sure I will want to make a 18 watt slll in the future. (9 months to a year - Can't make the wife too mad!)

I am going thru my unused gear and and deciding what speakers I can use in the future, and which one I will not. So the decision is what speakers will sound better with an 18 Watt slll 2x12" Combo?

A pair of BBQ Ceramic 50 watt Blue Dog & Silver Bell Speakers

Or a pair of Hellatone 60's (Broken-in Celestion Vintage 30 Speakers)

All my guitars are Fenders (Strats and a Tele) with pretty traditional style pick-ups, but I do have the series/parallel wiring options on the ones that are RWRP. I am sort of going for a Cream Type Tone. (I do have a Fuzz and a Treble Boost)

So would the BBQ or the Celestions be the better choice of speaker, and would the slll or the Plex 18 watt be the better choice of amp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:52 pm 
Expert
Expert

Many people don't like the combination of V30 speakers with 18W amps. The combination is just a little too aggressive at the high end for most folks. Also, given the choice, my personal preference would be for the Plexi version. I think that would go well with your aim for a Cream type tone.

YMMV

Post subject: Bye Bye V30's
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:25 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

I would think the Webers would be the better choice, but you never know. I would think they would be less ice-picky than the V30s.

Time to sell those speakers with the old EL34s, various Strat PU's, & various effects I no longer use.

I closer I get to buying the 18 watt Plexi I will be asking the question about Combo vs. Head w/Open Cab vs. Head w/closed Cab.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

I also agree on the BBQ speakers, and not the V30 clones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:19 pm 
Friend
Friend

I can't comment on the V30s, but I have an sIII head with a 2x12 ext cab with bbq bomb with an AlNiCo Blue Dog and Ceramic Silver Bell, and think it's great.

I also use the 2x12 cab with my Tweed Deluxe occasionally. Although the single TT AlNiCo in the Tweed is great, the 2x12 is equally pleasing.

However you look at it, you can't go wrong with Stephen's sIII.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:16 pm 
Novice
Novice

I put a V30 in my 18 watter 1 x 12. I was never happy with it. I've since switched to a nos greenback. Now I'm happy. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:31 am 
Expert
Expert

I have to agree. The V30 is a little aggressive for the 18w IMO. I find it's also very fatiguing at anything above bedroom volumes. It will cut through most any mix imaginable though, so if you're looking for that I suppose it could be a useful choice.

I've been running mine through my Triwatt cab lately (BBQ Thames drivers) and like that a lot better - more balanced & no upper-mid spike. I can listen to it pretty much wound out without ear-fatigue setting in. Those speakers are still a tad on the "hi-fi" side for the 18w - for me anyway.

I think something with a slightly more relaxed top end & upper mids would be perfect, and something like the Greenback in character would likely be right on the money. I haven't heard the ceramic version of the BBQ Blues so I can't really comment there.