trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some love for my 18w...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:18 pm 
Expert
Expert

Hey all. I picked up yet another guitar the other day - a Schecter C-1 Special. 22-fret, Gibson scale, RW board, mahogany neck & body with flame cap, 5-ply binding, & a pair of "Duncan Designed" stacked P90's. Been trying it through all my amps & fired up the 18w sIII for the first time since I built the Triwatt.

I'm using my Triwatt cab. I love how this guitar sounds through the 18w. The bridge pickup sounds a little more P90-ish than my P90 SG. Grinds & growls nicely through the sIII. This really reveals how much more warm mid-focused the sIII is compared to the Triwatt - at least with the tube compliment I have in my sIII (Mullard-TS-TS, EH 6V6's & EL-84's). The TW is more balanced & hi-fi overall.

The neck pickup is very warm & fat, and actually sounds just a tad muddy thorugh the sIII (even through the Triwatt in fact). Again, very different from my P90 SG which is brighter & more defined.

So now I have both amps on top of my Triwatt cab. I should run it is stereo & use an A/B/Y to run both & see what I get... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:43 am 
Experienced
Experienced

You just need to decide whether you want to blow your head off or to blow your socks off.

Then fire up the proper amp. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 pm 

I am having a hard time deciding between a triwatt and an 18 watt. I like more the sounds of the 18 watt but the triwatt probably has more gain.

Wich one you prefer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:46 pm 

Instead of gain
I wanted to say headroom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:40 am 
Expert
Expert

The Triwatt definately has more headroom, and a sweeter overall clean also especially with "open" voiced speakers (Fanes, alnico blues, TT alnicos from the clips I've heard, etc). With that said, the Triwatt also has more gain available if you want it.

I wouldn't say I prefer one over the other. I find the Triwatt is more dynamic, but for a classic overdriven blues/rock vibe the 18w certainly has it's place.