trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Which amp to start with?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:34 pm 
Friend
Friend

I plan on an 18 watt build soon, I'm not sure which to pick. Whats the difference between a sIII and a Plexi.I haven't found many clips of trinity amps, I have found many gds clips and actual marshall 1974x clips.

The 1974x amps sound great but I will need VRM/VRR/SCALE to use any 18 watt amp.Anyway, can someone compare the sIII and the plexi to the original 1974x tones.Thanks.............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:50 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Here's a little reading for ya!

http://www.trinityamps.com/Trin18Over.htm
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:46 pm 
Friend
Friend

So, from a gain standpoint.Low--high we would go sIII,plexi,TMB, sound right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:04 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Ya ..that's "probably" right. I only have the plexi myself. Each design has notes for adding or taming gain, change a resistor here or a cap there. Maybe a pot swap worst case...so if you're building a kit ..these changes are easy to incorporate. I based my choice on tone rather than gain per se'. Have you checked out all the clips in the clippage forum and "how does it sound" area in the products section?
What are you playin' thru right now?
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:13 pm 
Friend
Friend

I don't have an amp at the moment.I'm sure I could enjoy either of the 3.I don't want to much gain, shooting for more light-gain richness.I think I will prolly opt for the plexi.

I'm sure between the 2 channels and mods/adjustments like you say, you have plenty to work with.

I'm trying to simplify things with les pauls/strats and plexi/deluxe kinda classic rock stuff I've heard all my life.

I've always loved the plexi tones but could never use a 50watt amp to get it, the closest I have come was a Lexicon sig. 284 (awesome amp btw), not quite the classic marshall vibe.Even at 6-watts it was way too loud for the family, I'm glad to see that scaling has finally reached the DIY community, Ive been reading about it for 10 yrs.And I'll need it with this new amp.

I built a Firefly 2-watt amp about 2yrs ago but that didn't cut it tonewise.

Thanks for the help!, I mean the stock 1974x sounds great, but a tad more gain couldn't hurt.I guess the plexi would be the logical choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:35 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Well ..I love mine. I have a 1x12 combo with an old Electrovoice Force 12 speaker.
What and when you decide..I'm sure you won't be disapointed!
Cheer!
Stew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:07 am 
Expert
Expert

I've built both the sIII & the Plexi versions. The Plexi has more gain & sounds more, well, like a Plexi. The sIII is a little more JTM45-ish, only with a bit more raunch when pushed hard (thanks to the EL84's I expect).

My sIII will almost nail an early AC/DC vibe through the normal channel. The Plexi (which I built for user Fortis) gets more of a Zeppelin/Hendrix feel, but it doesn't sag in quite the same way as an actual Plexi running wide open. The 18w Plexi kind of holds together a little better, whereas the big Marshall becomes somewhat of a glorious mess. The basic tone is very similar though.

Does that help at all? :)