trinityamps.com

Trinity Amps Guitar Amp Forum
It is currently Tue Jul 16, 2024 7:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:17 pm 
Friend
Friend

well I think I pretty much have my sIII wired, and ready test. I just need to make up my mind on what speaker configuration - which is proving to be no small task. I was originally leaning towards a 2x12 open back which I was told would give a bit more headroom and push more air, but then there is the obvious weight. Some people say the 1x12s sound boxy, and I'm inclined to agree (although I've always loved those old fender deluxes). The 2x10s seemed like a compromise, and those Dr Zs sound sweet, but others say 2 10s are to too "pointy" and bright. What have you guys discovered works best for these 18 watters? Any pros/cons/tips/opinions you feel like sharing. I'm really having difficulty deciding.

I play a tele and a LP special with p90s if thats a factor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:01 am 
Friend
Friend

hmm, nobody has any thoughts on configurations?

Well, if i do go with the single 12, any thoughts on speakers?
The Celestrion Blue gets raves everywhere, as do the Tone Tubby's. I've also read the G12H30w sounds pretty classic in these 18 watts and is 1/3 the price.

I guess I'm looking for that late 60's early 70s tone. early clapton or the kinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:47 pm 
Novice
Novice

Mix a ceramic and an alnico in a 212 open back. Tone Tubby "Bomb" or 12h30 and Blue. I'm running Webers 12H30 and Blue clones in semi open oval back with my V6. I couldn't ask for more.

LeeMo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:37 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

pomod wrote:
well I think I pretty much have my sIII wired, and ready test. I just need to make up my mind on what speaker configuration - which is proving to be no small task. I was originally leaning towards a 2x12 open back which I was told would give a bit more headroom and push more air, but then there is the obvious weight. Some people say the 1x12s sound boxy, and I'm inclined to agree (although I've always loved those old fender deluxes). The 2x10s seemed like a compromise, and those Dr Zs sound sweet, but others say 2 10s are to too "pointy" and bright. What have you guys discovered works best for these 18 watters? Any pros/cons/tips/opinions you feel like sharing. I'm really having difficulty deciding.

I play a tele and a LP special with p90s if thats a factor.

I did extensive testing using Stephen's sIII and all the cabs in my studio - there are polls/clips in the clippage section if you want to check it out... the good news is there was really no bad speaker with the sIII, everything had an appeal, even though each speaker sounded a bit different. My overall favourite was my Marshall closed back 4x12 cab with G12T-75's - the speaker everyone loves to hate. Just sounded like classic rock to me so it might be worth investigating those. Greenbacks were also nice - also in a Marshall closed back 4x12. Some folks liked V30's (Mesa and Orange closed back cabs), and some folks liked the Tone Tubby's (Trinity open back 2x12)... Here are my personal biases fwiw - I always prefer 2 or 4 speakers over 1 - I like the size and the smear of multiple speakers. I don't generally like the sound of different speakers in one cab - the mix/match thing kind of dilutes the specific coolness of each speaker to me... this is a me thing though, lots of guys like to mix and match. I don't think with 12's or 10's one is inherently "better" than the other - they're just different and it really depends on what you're going for, and the specific speakers you choose. In general I find 12's to be bigger and deeper sounding, 10's to be tighter and more focused, but again it really depends on the speaker and the cab it's in. If we're talking Tone Tubby's for 12's I like the Alnicos, but don't care as much for the Ceramics. But I LOVE the Ceramic 10's!!

Is this more confusing?!!? LOL! Well, if I was you, which I'm not, but if I was, I'd try a 2x12 with G12T75's, or a 2x12 with Greenbacks first. If those aren't your cup of tea, then I'd try a 2x12 with either V30's or TTA's or a 2x10 with TTC's...

Hope this helps. You're really going to need to plug that 18W into some stuff and have a listen yourself!! :?

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:26 pm 
Holy Ghost
Holy Ghost

This was a very telling exploration. Really suggest you check it out.

viewtopic.php?t=1273

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:00 pm 
Friend
Friend

wow, interesting eh? such diverse sounds from the various speakers.
i'm leaning toward the alnico I think. I thought I'd made up my mind on a single 12 but now I'm reconsidering.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

bgroup wrote:
I don't think with 12's or 10's one is inherently "better" than the other - they're just different and it really depends on what you're going for, and the specific speakers you choose. In general I find 12's to be bigger and deeper sounding, 10's to be tighter and more focused, but again it really depends on the speaker and the cab it's in. If we're talking Tone Tubby's for 12's I like the Alnicos, but don't care as much for the Ceramics. But I LOVE the Ceramic 10's!!

I think I could be really tempted to build a 12+10 cab with a TT Alnico 12" and a TT Ceramic 10" inside. :D I know you said you don't like mixing dissimilar speakers, but.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:01 am 
Experienced
Experienced

pomod wrote:
wow, interesting eh? such diverse sounds from the various speakers.
i'm leaning toward the alnico I think. I thought I'd made up my mind on a single 12 but now I'm reconsidering.

Yeah, it was quite interesting, and quite surprising in some cases!!!

I have a Trinity 212 with TT Alnico's (both closed and open back options) and it's AWESOME! :D Highly recommended. Can't go wrong with that cab in almost any context... :)

www.slyfichapel.com

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:06 am 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
bgroup wrote:
I don't think with 12's or 10's one is inherently "better" than the other - they're just different and it really depends on what you're going for, and the specific speakers you choose. In general I find 12's to be bigger and deeper sounding, 10's to be tighter and more focused, but again it really depends on the speaker and the cab it's in. If we're talking Tone Tubby's for 12's I like the Alnicos, but don't care as much for the Ceramics. But I LOVE the Ceramic 10's!!

I think I could be really tempted to build a 12+10 cab with a TT Alnico 12" and a TT Ceramic 10" inside. :D I know you said you don't like mixing dissimilar speakers, but.....

I've already got my Trinity TTA 212, and my Trinity/Marshall TTC 410! I could mix with 2 cabs!!! ;) :) I can feel some Trinity bass cabs coming on the horizon... ;) :)

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:19 am 
Expert
Expert

pomod wrote:
The Celestrion Blue gets raves everywhere, as do the Tone Tubby's. I've also read the G12H30w sounds pretty classic in these 18 watts and is 1/3 the price.
I guess I'm looking for that late 60's early 70s tone. early clapton or the kinks.

IMO Celestion Blues sound too bright in combination with the brightness of EL84 amps, like 18Ws. I have a real sweet 1X12 18W combo which I gig with a lot. I run either a vintage Greenback or a vintage G12H-30 in it. Awesome speakers for that late 60s/early 70s tone. However, if you're going for head+cab, then I agree with bgroup, that a 2X12 (or even a 10+12) sounds better. IMO the rules for combos are different than for separate cabs. I'm told Tone Tubby's San Rafael is a Greenback clone, and one of these days I'll have to check that out too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:53 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

zaphod wrote:
pomod wrote:

IMO Celestion Blues sound too bright in combination with the brightness of EL84 amps, like 18Ws. I have a real sweet 1X12 18W combo which I gig with a lot. I run either a vintage Greenback or a vintage G12H-30 in it. Awesome speakers for that late 60s/early 70s tone. However, if you're going for head+cab, then I agree with bgroup, that a 2X12 (or even a 10+12) sounds better. IMO the rules for combos are different than for separate cabs. I'm told Tone Tubby's San Rafael is a Greenback clone, and one of these days I'll have to check that out too...

I love Blues, but agree with Phil that they're not right for everything - session I just did one of the guitar players brought in a brand new AC30 with Blues - preferred my older AC30 with Greenbacks, and actually ran a cab when we used his AC30...

When we tested the San Rafael's at Stephen's they were Greenback-ish but not exactly the same, slightly different voice - I like the bottom end on Greens, the TTSR's didn't have it the same... I felt they were a little softer and mushier too - if you like speaker breakup and soft sounding speakers then you'll love the TTSR's... similar aesthetic to the Greens though...

www.slyfichapel.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:10 pm 
Friend
Friend

cheers for all the input.
I ordered a G12H30 but the store screwed up and ordered in the vintage 30. So I sent it back but now I've noticed from my bill they have ordered the anniversary model which is apparently different from the heritage although no one can tell exactly how. I do know its about 1/2 the price so may maybe I'll try it out and see.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:53 pm 
Expert
Expert

The Anniversary model has the 75Hz lead cone, similar to a Greenback. It's a great speaker! The Heritage model costs a lot more and has the 55Hz bass cone. I prefer the 75Hz version.

All Celestion ceramics need extensive breaking in. I connect the speaker to a 6.3V heater supply and leave it humming at 60Hz in the garage a few days. Evil TW recommends rubbing some acetone on the doping compound on the cone surround while it's being broken in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:51 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Ok ,so if you have a mismatched set of speakers in your 2x12 cab ,ie, I have a Blue dog and a G12H 30 (55hz) ,which one do you mic at gigs? I can never decide! (Mostly because I don't really know/trust any of the soundmen at the clubs I usually play at!) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:45 pm 
Expert
Expert

Can you afford to use two mics, and then pan the two signals right and left? Maybe even a very slight delay between the two channels at the desk, so you get a bigger/fuller guitar sound. Otherwise, the dog will probably cut through better at gigs than the 55Hz G12H.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:05 pm 
Experienced
Experienced

Yeah Z, I usually use the Blue Dog. If I am sure I can use 2 strips on the board, then I would use my 2 amp rig, which is pure heaven,but a b**ch to drag around!:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:31 am 
Expert
Expert

I suspect that your Triwatt, with it's range of clean and distortion tones, probably covers most of the bases you would have previously wanted two amps for. So two mics on your 2X12 and a little delay added at the desk could give you added sonic presence, without injuring your back. :D